Need Legacy Course File advice

Need Legacy Course File advice

by Amy Brown -
Number of replies: 10

Our school went from 1.9.16 to 2.2 to 2.2.4 very quickly. (I so dislike 2.2.4)

Migration broke tons of links, our restore/import feature broke for about a week, etc.  We are trying now to make sure that we have everything in place so that we don't experience this again for spring.

Here's the problem.  We have over 6,000 Moodle sites with Legacy Course Files.  Has someone identified a way to move that content into other file repository in bulk? 

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Amy Brown

Re: Need Legacy Course File advice

by Cameron Penna -

There's a legacy course file repository you can keep them in if you're not already aware of that? If i recall, you need this one and enabled before you restore the 1.x course? 

•  Site administration
  •  /  Plugins
  •  /  Repositories
  •  /  Manage Repositories
In reply to Cameron Penna

by Amy Brown -

Yes, but since we are already in Moodle 2.2.4, we are trying to prepare for the spring.  As faculty members move content forward to spring sites, the legacy course files area goes away.  Before this day happens, I need to find an efficient way to move the legacy course files content (that is not already on the homepage of the course) to a save area. AND, I don't want faculty to have to do anything extra.  This migration from 1.9 to 2.2.4 has been tough on them - strangely tougher that going from Blackboard to Moodle.

In reply to Amy Brown

by Visvanath Ratnaweera -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
Hi Amy

> We have over 6,000 Moodle sites ...

Am I seeing right? Yours must be a medium sized state!

Sorry, I can not help with the original problem. The new file handling braught great features to some, and broke the work flow of others.

There is a dedicated forum for "Repositories" http://moodle.org/mod/forum/view.php?id=1807. May be you'll get help there.
In reply to Amy Brown

by Ken Task -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

Wow!  6000 sites!  or do you mean courses? ;)

If I'm understanding correctly, there is no 'internal' to Moodle 2 'easy button' for doing what you desire (at least have not found any ... yet).  [unless one is a guru with MySQL]

Have found that almost any direction one takes to avoid legacy requires labor ... on the server end and teachers as well - and each has to do their part.

This may not work in your situation, but it's 'something' ...

If you still have the 1.9 data directory, one could create a file respository in the 2 called 'olddocs' and copy the cleaned up course ID folders from the 1.9 data directory to the new repository.  By 'cleaned up' meaning delete the backups and backup directory in each course ID folder and delete the moddata folder.  That could be accomplished by a rm -fR command.  Copy all but the '1' folder ... that was for the front page of the 1.9 site.

You'd have to gen a report/print out of what course ID belonged to what course/teacher for the next step.

In the 2, at the course level, one could then create a file system repo that points to 'olddocs/[courseIDfolder]' per teachers course.  If they had multiple course, then mulitple repo links.

Teachers could then re-link files in their course to those repos.  Once having done so those files/links become part of the new document management/filing system and backups should loose 'legacy'.

May not work for you.  But, hopefully, it might 'spin' another idea. ;)

'spirit of sharing', Ken

In reply to Ken Task

by Amy Brown -

Hi Ken!

Yes, 6000 sites and courses.  Every course here gets a Moodle site.  We keep about four semesters on the production server at one time.  We average about 2000 Moodle sites/courses per semester. smile

Interesting idea, but that 1.9 data directory is old and not current.

So many schools have come before us from 1.9 to 2.2.  Surprised that no one has this figured out yet.  Maybe I need to change my focus to looking for someone who is a guru with MySQL!

In reply to Amy Brown

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Sorry for butting in -but- Every course here gets a Moodle site.

Why?

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Amy Brown -

Hi Mary, no problem.

Moodle is part of our business continuity plan at our school.  So if something unfortunate happens and we cannot meet at one of our campuses, instruction can continue online for every course to some degree.  Face-to-face faculty have been through a basic level of Moodle training just in case they need to move instruction online temporarily. 

Many of our continuing education courses also have Moodle sites as well since they are moving to more online instruction.

In reply to Amy Brown

by Susana L. -

I'm sorry... After reading this post I still could not understand the course/site difference... You are saying you have/manage 6000 sites?

Here you can find Moodle registered sites:
http://moodle.org/sites/

USA has about 12000 registered sites... Your site concept is not the same as mentioned here, right?

I would much appreciate if you could please enlighten me about this site thing.

Thank you!

In reply to Amy Brown

by Ken Task -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

The *ONLY* way I've found to 'avoid legacy' while restoring a 1.9.x backup was provided by a Moodle explorer in these forums (wish I could find it again for they do deserve credit for their method/findings).

It involved using what Moodle 2 does on the backend and kinda werid but it does work with 1.9.x backups.

Create a new blank course with minimal settings.  When one gets to the step of assigning users to the course, skip that, and go to the course admin menu, restore.

Find the backup desired ... remember, this was done with 1.9 backups which were going to give you 'legacy' no matter what.

The option to restore to this course (replacing the course you are currently in) is selected.  With a 1.9 backup it would convert the 1.9 to a 2 .mbz and then begin the restore process.  For the most part, it worked AND (best of all) NO LEGACY!

Haven't tried that with a 2 backup.  But it doesn't take much time and worth a shot me thinks!  Better this 'work-around' than diving into MySQL la-la-land, me thinks! ;)

And I too am wondering ... why a separate Moodle installation for single courses (regardless of how long one keeps archives)?

That's 'mega server admin'!!!

'spirit of sharing', Ken

In reply to Amy Brown

by Visvanath Ratnaweera -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
Hi Amy

Those 6000 sites/courses "went from 1.9.16 to 2.2 to 2.2.4 very quickly"? And you survived to tell the story?
smile

> (I so dislike 2.2.4)

Just hold on. In 2.3 every thing is different. 2.4 is going to be more different. One day you got to get the version you were waiting for.
;-D

Reminded me of a discussion going on in the "Hardware and Performance" forum: http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=211983. Sounds familiar?