Different Teachers Sharing Questions between different classes

Different Teachers Sharing Questions between different classes

by Bobby Cowhey -
အကြောင်းပြန်မှု အရေအတွက်: 8

I've just recently started using Moodle, and I love the quiz module abilities.  I've begun giving all of my homework and testing on Moodle.  Other teachers in the department (Physics) have taken notice and have started using it a little as well.

However, I still can create and manipulate questions the fastest and best - so many teachers have asked if they can somehow import or use the questions from my testbank for themselves.  

I've made some of them teachers in my course and then tried importing the questions to their course, but even though I only checked the specific question bank, it ended up importing everything in my entire course (files, labels, quizzes, questions, etc.)

I then glanced through the Moodle Docs and attempted to create a "Question Sharer" role.  I've made one teacher a Question Sharer in my course, but I must've done something wrong, because nothing shows up still in her question bank.

So I essentially have two questions:

1) Is it possible for the other teachers to share questions and nothing else from one course to another? (I'm using Moodle 1.9.8+)

2) If it is, how do I assign roles so that teachers can successfully "see" all of these questions?

Thanks in advance for all of your help - finding this forum has already helped me tremendously!

ပျှမ်းမျှအဆင့်သတ်မှတ်ချက်များ: -
Bobby Cowhey ထံသို့ အကြောင်းပြန်ရာတွင်

Re: Different Teachers Sharing Questions between different classes

by Tim Hunt -
Core developers ၏ ရုပ်ပုံ Documentation writers ၏ ရုပ်ပုံ Particularly helpful Moodlers ၏ ရုပ်ပုံ Peer reviewers ၏ ရုပ်ပုံ Plugin developers ၏ ရုပ်ပုံ

Well, the short answer is "yes" but unfortuanately the longer answer is "yes, you can do it, but it is really complicated to set up, and there are issues later when you try to use backup and restore." http://docs.moodle.org/19/en/Question_permissions_explained_with_diagrams may help you understand it.

The other way you can share quetsions is by exporting them from one course in "Moodle XML" format, and then importing them into the other course. However, if you do that, then you have lots of copies, and then it is a pain if you find a mistake that you need to correct.

One day I will come up with a brilliant master-plan that will solve all the problems with the current design, and do everything else that everyone wants to be able to do with the question bank. However, I have been thinking about this for some years, and still don't have a complete answer.

by Chris Wheatland -

I suppose one, central question bank shared across the entire Moodle site that all the users simply add to wouldn't work would it? Teachers could have their own questions 'tagged' in some way so theirs showed up by default but all questions would be accessible by all staff.

That's probably already been mooted though I'd imagine and might be a bit hard to implement.

Chris Wheatland ထံသို့ အကြောင်းပြန်ရာတွင်

by Emma Richardson -
Documentation writers ၏ ရုပ်ပုံ Particularly helpful Moodlers ၏ ရုပ်ပုံ Plugin developers ၏ ရုပ်ပုံ

It is already implemented but you need to upgrade to 2.1 or later.

Chris Wheatland ထံသို့ အကြောင်းပြန်ရာတွင်

by Tim Hunt -
Core developers ၏ ရုပ်ပုံ Documentation writers ၏ ရုပ်ပုံ Particularly helpful Moodlers ၏ ရုပ်ပုံ Peer reviewers ၏ ရုပ်ပုံ Plugin developers ၏ ရုပ်ပုံ

A single quesoitn bank like that does not work. Think about what happens when you try to backup a course to move it to another Moodle site.

Also, think about a big university with thousands of courses and teachers. The whole thing would just be unmanagable.

How so you know which questions to include? It needs to be more structured than that.

Tim Hunt ထံသို့ အကြောင်းပြန်ရာတွင်

by Chris Wheatland -

What if course categories had their own question banks incorporated? Then all the questions created in courses that were in the 'physics' (for example) category would live in the 'physics' question bank and be accessible to anyone who created a course in the physics category. Inter-departmental sharing might be a bit difficult but you rarely need to do that anyway. 

Of course the standard structure of the question bank could be retained but nobody would own it, it'd be centralised by department.

Again, questions could have i.d. tags which would say which user created them, and you could possibly sort the list of questions by author if you only wanted your own.

I have no idea how easy or difficult this would be to implement.

by Monica Cain -

I am new to some of this and not as technical so most here.  When I make up questions I do it is Word (then transfer to Notepad to import).  My Word chart provides a name and some other info that I like to keep like where in the text is the answer.  I keep this chart and update it with new questions when I need to.  If another teacher would like my question bank, I just give the the word or Notpad (saves as UT8) for them to use.

Here is a sample of a Word chart

Attachment Word Questions.jpg
Monica Cain ထံသို့ အကြောင်းပြန်ရာတွင်

by Monica Cain -

Just to continue, to import I copy only the Question column and turn it into a UTF8 coded Notepad doc like this...

Attachment UTF8 Import Questions.jpg
Monica Cain ထံသို့ အကြောင်းပြန်ရာတွင်

by lokesh nayyar -
Hi All,

Recently I had one requirement where I want that " teacher's within the same course should only view, edit and use only there own questions " . I change the permission from teacher role of "moodle/question:editall" and set it as prohibit and the teachers were only able to edit there own question.

Now my issue got stuck with view and use only there own question in the courese. I modified the permission of moodle/question:useall and set it as prohibit and it didn't worked. Can anyone help me out to achieve this workaround. Can this be achieved without customization, by just changing the permissions.

I tried using the question sharer role but it was not able to fulfil my requirement. Thanks