Mimetex slow in rendering, Dragmath slow starting

Mimetex slow in rendering, Dragmath slow starting

by Jeffrey Jones -
Number of replies: 0

Gang:
       I'm trying to drill down into Tex/mimetex rendering, to see if I can induce it into working more dependably. There are two things hindering my progress...

1. Sporadic rendering. When Dragmath is used to generate a Tex script, mimetext fails to render the text on first saving -- that is, the Tex script appears, not the mathematical expression. If I click it, I get the debug screen. If I paste the Tex expression and force mimetext to render it, it works, and the expression then appears properly at next refresh where it was originally entered. Sometimes, the expression will render on its own (without "debug" help), but it happens only after some time...I haven't found any other pattern that forces it.
  2. Slow startup. It takes like 30 seconds for the Dragmath java to present the GUI. I doubt this is a Moodle problem (see below for config stuff), but I'd love hints as to how we might speed things up. It's annoying has heck.

Moodle 2.2.3, Windows Server 2008SK1, IIS 7.5, MySQL 5.1.7, PHP (something current, too lazy to look up), with data and web delivery separated by boxes. I'm in a fairly large school district (40,000 students) using this install for "blended" instruction. Being an enterprise, we've standardized on, and pushed installation for (at least so far) Java 6 (1.6+) at the workstation level.
       I'm all ears, and thanks!

Average of ratings: -