temporary/one-time-use password for user

temporary/one-time-use password for user

by K P -
Number of replies: 2

Hi there,

I am creating a site based on Moodle and I need a specific feature which I need some information on.

Basicially is there a possibility to have a password which is issued everythime a user wants to log into the site?

So if I had a student, and he/she wanted to log in, they would type their username, and then a password gets emailed to them which they then use to log in.

I know this sounds a bit 'pointless', but it would discourage the students from sharing passwords, or staying logged into the site.

I would appreciate your help.

Thank you. It's much appreciated.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to K P

Re: temporary/one-time-use password for user

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

It require a custom auth plugin to be developed (and possibly a login page renderer or layout). Essentially, if no password is supplied a new one is generated and emailed out. If one is supplied they are authenticated. If they get in then the password field is deleted.

If you really care about passwords being shared for some reason then it isn't so ridiculous. One time passwords are a fairly standard solution.

In reply to Howard Miller

Re: temporary/one-time-use password for user

by K P -

Thank you for your reply smile I'm fairly new to Moodle, so I guess this will be one of the things I have to work on long-term.

Thank you though for your reply.