[RELEASE] Zebra 2.3

[RELEASE] Zebra 2.3

by Danny Wahl -
Number of replies: 51

Zebra 2.3 has been released and is available in the Plugins directory!

The biggest change in this version (beside some 2.3 compatibility features) is that it is now fully compatible with all major Moodle revisions. ok, not 1.9...

As a result of this - all previous versions of the theme have been removed from the plugin directory.  Going forward I will probably only keep 1 version there.  If you don't want the current stable version, get the one you want from the github repository every version has a tag, for your convenience.

Changes:

weird, the forum is killing my links... oh well.

(Edited by Mary Evans - original submission Friday, 21 September 2012, 8:47 AM) - Fixed LINKS

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Danny Wahl

Re: [RELEASE] Zebra 2.3

by Mary Evans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi, I fixed the links for you. You had added code tags to each one that probably why. smile

In reply to Mary Evans

by Sue M. -

I am using the latest updated 2.2.6 Moodle and the latest 2.3 Zebra (updated everything today).

When the browser window is narrowed, or when there are enough menu items to go to a second line, the menu items from custommenu are pushed to a second line. This leaves an entire line after the home icon blank and empty. And ugly!

Is there a way to remove this forced-return to a new line? Or a way to remove the home icon entirely?

Attachment Screen shot 2012-12-03.png
In reply to Danny Wahl

by Danny Wahl -

v2.3.1 released:

• fixed: version name error preventing upgrading from 2.2.10
  • added: mod_book and mod_folder stylesheets
  • enhanced: rewritten header, profile, and logo area (logo now an actual image)
  • removed: logoheight setting and lib functions
In reply to Danny Wahl

by Andrew Schopp -

Hello, I would like to remove the underline from all links. Any suggestions would be great. I am not a very skilled computer person, so if you can make suggestions use basic language! Thanks,

Andrew

In reply to Andrew Schopp

by Mary Evans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Yes...if you go to Site Administration > Appearance > Themes > Zebra (hyperlink) this opens a Custom settings page. If you scroll down to the bottom of the page you should see a section marked Custom CSS. in this textarea copy the following CSS rule.

a:hover, a:active { text-decoration: none;}

That should fix it.

Mary
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Mary Evans

Re: Zebra 2.3 Docs for Newbies

by Rabbi Meilech Leib DuBrow -

Are there docs for laying out courses using Zebra?  Youtube tutorials?

Thank you.

In reply to Rabbi Meilech Leib DuBrow

Re: Zebra 2.3 Docs for Newbies

by Mary Evans -

How courses are laid out has nothing to do with the theme, not directly at least, so any Moodle Docs will, or should, help you.

In reply to Mary Evans

by Andrew Schopp -

I have stumbled upon another problem. Below you can see the grade reporter page is not allowing the user to change the groups. Any suggestions on this one? Thanks!

In reply to Mary Evans

by Andrew Schopp -

Hi Mary, Thanks for offering you help with the underlining issue... I tried to add in the code, but it didn't seem to work. Am I making a mistake or shoudl I try something else? Your help is greatly appreicated!

by Mary Evans -

If all else fails...

PURGE CACHES!!!

Settings > Site Administration > Development > Purge all caches

Clicking that option will allow the CSS to kick in after you refresh your screen.

If that does not work this means your browser must be overriding the theme in which case you will need to check your browser Tools > Options

HTH

Mary

In reply to Mary Evans

by Andrew Schopp -

Hi Mary, I did purge caches and still no go. I don't see anything that compares to tools > options on Safari, Firefox, or Crome. Is there something different i shoud try in one of these browsers to rule check if it is the browser? Is there anything else I can try in the css?

Thanks for your time!

by Mary Evans -

This is how to set/unset the option for underline link in FireFox...

tools options firfox

In reply to Mary Evans

by Doris Johnson -

Hi, Mary

How would I change the page layout for the zebra theme

In reply to Doris Johnson

by Mary Evans -

It all depends on what you want to change the page layout to.

What kind of layout are you thinking of changing Zebra to?

In reply to Mary Evans

by Doris Johnson -

In the settings for Zebra they have 3 different layouts. I wanted to changed the layout to the three column but I haven't figured out how to change it in the settings.

In reply to Doris Johnson

by Miriam Laidlaw -
Picture of Plugin developers

I just installed Zebra and by default it is a three-column layout.

To make it a two-column layout, resize your browser somewhat smaller. When it gets to a certain width, the right hand column gets rearranged into the left hand column. Then when it gets smaller still, it goes to a single column format.

It's not a setting in the settings page, but a feature to allow the theme to work well in various screen and browser sizes.

If you're not seeing it in three columns, your browser may be set too small (or your screen resolution set too small).

See this screencast here for a demonstration of what I'm talking about.

In reply to Miriam Laidlaw

by Danny Wahl -

Actually Miria, by default Zebra is a one-column layout, based on the "mobile first" design principles.  So if your browser doesn't support media queries ( FF < 3.6, Safari 4, IE 6-8) then you'll only see one column.

To remedy this I have included "respond.js" which I recommend you enable.  It uses javascript to emulate media queries by re-evaluating the css when the viewport changes. the setting is "userespond"

Or upgrade your browser to something from the last 5 years ;)

In reply to Danny Wahl

by Miriam Laidlaw -

Ah ok, so I'm seeing three columns first because I am using the latest version of ... well, pretty much every browser on my machine is the latest version, but on the screencast it was firefox.

But Doris may not be seeing three columns because she may be using an older browser? Is that how it works?

I have to say that I think Zebra is a pretty nifty theme. I am going to read the code sometime to see how it works, because I just love the idea of a theme that works equally well on computer, tablet and mobile without needing to have a separate theme for mobiles.

In reply to Miriam Laidlaw

by Richard Oelmann -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi Miriam,

Yes Danny's Zebra is a pretty nifty animal! It is well worth looking at the code - I've been using it in one way or another since Danny first came out with his 'rebase' style sheets that he eventually then built Zebra on and have since built my main theme in work based on Danny's responsive layouts.

As always, Danny - thanks for the tremendous work, and for the latest release. Its fantastic!!! (even if it does mean another round of work for me to update my stuff too - and yes I do have to do that, because I didn't use Zebra as a parent, I took the page layouts and adapted them into the standard and base themes to create my one for work :D)

Richard

In reply to Danny Wahl

by Danny Wahl -

v2.3.3

fixed: simplelogin layout w/ new headers

enhanced: autohide completely rewritten to support accessibility

v2.3.2

fixed: logos didn't support non-moodle_url() images (my bad!)

enhanced: logo setting can now be "null" for no logo

In reply to Danny Wahl

by Danny Wahl -

v2.3.4

• fixed: work around for MDL-36065
  • fixed: report layout

-----

I'm officially announcing my intention to slow down development on this theme.  I've done just about everything I want to with it, and I think everything that needs to be done.

I'm now looking forward to contributing to the bootstrap effort.

In reply to Danny Wahl

by Germán Valero -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi,

I was translating the English strings of the Zebra theme in AMOS and it seems that there are three English words that are hard-coded and/or declared incorrectly and therefore, not available for translation: These words are "None", "Dark" and "Light", and they are used in the Color scheme settings. I enclose a screen image.

I thank you in advance for your help.

Attachment None Dark Light.jpg
In reply to Germán Valero

by Mary Evans -

If you have access to the theme files, then all you need to do is add these highlighted changes to ../theme/zebra/settings.php

//Set gradient style for custommenu
$name = 'theme_zebra/menucolorscheme';
$title = get_string('menucolorscheme','theme_zebra');
$description = get_string('menucolorschemedesc', 'theme_zebra');
$default = 'none';
$choices = array(
    'none' => get_string('none', 'theme_zebra'),
    'dark' => get_string('dark', 'theme_zebra'),
    'light'=> get_string('light', 'theme_zebra')
    );
$setting = new admin_setting_configselect($name, $title, $description, $default, $choices);
$settings->add($setting);

Then you can add these extra $strings to ../theme/zebra/lang/en/theme_zebra.php

$string['none'] = 'None';
$string['dark'] = 'Dark';
$string['light'] = 'Light';

you can also add these to your lang file for translation purposes.

After you add these to Zebra, you will need to go to the Site Administration > Languages > Language packs and UPDATE the english pack, this then adds the new strings into the lang cache which is stored in your moodledata folder.

The same applies to whatever language you are translating.

Cheers

Mary

by Danny Wahl -

I will convert those to strings and push a new version to the repo. tomorrow - AMOS should be updated automatically.

Glad to see it's getting some translation efforts!

by Danny Wahl -

I've updated github and the plugins repository, AMOS should be updated too.  Thanks for translating!

In reply to Danny Wahl

by Dominick Inglese -

Hello, I'd like to add social links to the front page so visitors can share the link on their twitter, Facebook account etc... I tried using a HTML block but the code seems to be stripped. I was trying to add this, which I got from the "Share This" web site.

(edit: this post also sripped the code)

And this javascript. I wouldn't know where to put this. Thank you…

(edit: this post also sripped the code)

In reply to Dominick Inglese

by Miriam Laidlaw -

Hey there,

I've copied and pasted the code we used on the front page of FreeMoodle.org to make our Facebook Like and Tweet buttons into my wiki HERE, with further instructions for checking filters you may have enabled on your Moodle site that could be stripping code.

smile

In reply to Danny Wahl

by lola kno -

Hello, I'm using the Zebra theme for Moodle 2.4.1 but I do not work well with the Scorm mobile devices (tablet and smartphone) does not show the scroll bars.
To me this is very important, I need to know if the solution is possible.

In reply to lola kno

by Danny Wahl -

a solution is definitely possible, unfortunately our school doesn't use SCORM.  Is there a donor package anyone wants to give me to test with?

In reply to Danny Wahl

by Mary Evans -

Danny,

You could try removing the side blocks from base layout in zebra/config. This layout should be without blocks by default:

$THEME->layouts = array(
    'base' => array(
        'file' => 'general.php',
        'regions' => array('side-pre', 'side-post'),
        'defaultregion' => 'side-pre',
        'options' => array('langmenu'=>true, 'noblocks'=>true)
    ),
Cheers
Mary
In reply to Mary Evans

by lola kno -

Hi Danny and Mary, do not attach a Scorm (the size is larger than allowed), working with the Zebra theme for Moodle 2.4.1, I have made the changes proposed Mary but does not solve the problem, content on tablet and smartphone intersect and are not the scroll bars, so I can not move around the screen.
thanks and regards.
Lola

In reply to lola kno

by Mary Evans -

I think the problem is that SCORM needs to be re-sizable too. So you would need to use some authoring tool to do this.

You could try using Afterburner theme and see if that works better on Tablet?

In reply to Mary Evans

by lola kno -

Seeing the Scorm and IMS packages in mobile devices, if the contents are too long and will need scroll bars in Chrome and Safari browsers for iOS or Android can not see, short of content and not have scroll bars navigate to them. The Puffin browser if you can see the contents of complete package Scorm and IMS. This is not happening with me CualquierTheme of Moodle 1.9 and the same tablet. I attached a picture, I used Afterburner and the same.

Attachment vertical_tablet.png
In reply to Danny Wahl

by Danny Wahl -

I just marked the latest version as compatible with 2.5 - no changes have been made (it's been compatible since 2.5dev).

In reply to Danny Wahl

by Marty Gilbert -
Picture of Core developers

Hi Danny --

Love the theme! Thanks so much for your hard work.

I did notice an issue on Moodle 2.5+ (20130627). When I try to edit a section summary when using Zebra, the HTML editor doesn't show up.

It seems to be an issue with Zebra, as other editors show the TinyMCE editor fine.

Any guesses?

Thanks again,

Marty Gilbert

In reply to Marty Gilbert

by Hansueli Schwaninger -

Hi

I got the same error with Zebra 2.4.2 (Build: 2012121100)

for me is a solution urgently. Does anyone have an idea?

Thanks

Hansueli

In reply to Hansueli Schwaninger

by Danny Wahl -

Hey guys,

I'm on vacation so I don't have a development machine with me so I can't profile this very well but:

1) I can confirm this is a bug

2) I don't know why it's happening (probably my fault)

3) It seems like the cause is that the JS "hook" for TinyMCE to be loaded is not happening.

If somebody could be so kind as to profile the page with Firebug I bet we'd see a nice error thrown.  What's strange to me is that it's only that one instance of TinyMCE...

In reply to Danny Wahl

Hello Danny

I made ​​a test on my notebook with Moodle 2.5 (Build20130514).
This version I copied and made an upgrade to 2.5.1 (Build20130708)
In this link you will find in the zip 2 screenshots using Firebug.
https://ebtestcloud.eb-zuerich.ch/public.php?service=files&t=40570405d075938c7d1f1f19d91a4641
In both versions tiny_mce.js is loaded in the footer

Regards Hansueli

In reply to Danny Wahl

Hello Danny

maybe you can see more on this screenshot with Opera

Regards Hansueli

Attachment 2.5.1_build20130708_002.png
In reply to Hansueli Schwaninger

by Danny Wahl -

thanks, that's peculiar in that this is part of YUI - something which Zebra has nothing to do with...

In reply to Danny Wahl

Hello Danny

I also see that this is an error of YUI. Just, this error is only with the zebra theme. All other themes does not have this error and the editor will be displayed here.

Regards Hansueli

In reply to Danny Wahl

by Danny Wahl -

Released version 2.5.0 to github which fixes the TinyMCE error.  Will be pushing the latest version to Moodle Plugins Directory shortly!

In reply to Danny Wahl

by Dominick Inglese -

Hello,

I'm having a problem installing the upgrade.

As I'm upgrading to version 2.9 at Moodle I wanted to upgrade the zebra theme as well.

But I have tried everything I have tried copying the old zebra files (from my old Moodle site) to the new theme directory (in the upgraded Moodle 2.9). 

I've also tried extracting the files of a new fresh download but it is not right.

How can I upgrade to the newest version of this theme?

Thank you,

by Mary Evans -

Hi, when you say the ZEBRA theme wont load or will not work, are you getting any ERROR messages?  No matter how trivial they may appear to you at least it would give us an indication as to what is happening on your Moodle site. So if you have any ERROR messages can you post them here?

Thanks

Mary

by Mary Evans -

Hi Dominick,

Further to my last comment, I can see quite clearly that the 2.5/6/7 version of ZEBRA is broken in 2.9.

I'm just going to investigate it to see if I can find what's causing the problem, as it appears not to be NOT reading the style sheets.

I'll let you know as soon as I have something to report.

Cheers

Mary

by Mary Evans -

Hi again,

Sorry to say but Zebra is totally broken in Moodle 2.9. It looks like it needs a lot of work doing to it to get it working.

Regards
Mary