New forum for collaborating on new feature specs

New forum for collaborating on new feature specs

by Helen Foster -
Number of replies: 11
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi Moodle developers,

As mentioned in our Moodle development process, it's good to get community input on your proposed major new feature spec. You'll be pleased to hear that a new forum has been created especially for this, called Future major features.

I'll be moving a few discussion threads from this forum into the Future major features forum soon. If you come across a thread I have missed, please let me know.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Helen Foster

Re: New forum for collaborating on new feature specs

by Visvanath Ratnaweera -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
Hi Helen

http://docs.moodle.org/dev/Process says, "Users report bugs and make feature requests directly in the tracker ...". That is also the impression I had from discussions in the Using Moodle forums.

In fact, in the recent lively discussion "Ideas needed: moodle.org improvements" http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=196302 the general openion was that there are too many (90+) forums in Using Moodle.

Apart from that, my problem is, when I have a feature request, how do I know, that it is going to be a) a future feature b) a major one? (Well I wish, it would wink
In reply to Visvanath Ratnaweera

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi Visvanath,

Thanks for mentioning about how to request new features. The process has not changed. I've added a note to the forum description clarifying this point.

Ideally each discussion in the Future major features forum will be based on a detailed spec in the developer docs and will be started by the spec creator. In our online developer meeting last month, invited speaker Andrew Nicols described how he had attempted to get feedback on his developments but wished he had received more. It was agreed that we should try having a major features forum in Using Moodle as a way of supporting developers in obtaining feedback from users and other developers.

Although I'm sure everyone would like to know if/when their feature request will end up a major future feature, unfortunately this question is impossible to answer. As mentioned in the roadmap, major projects "are subject to change according to how long things take to develop" also "larger items in the roadmap are part of a long-term development vision for Moodle, which is heavily influenced by requests from our user community".

Finally, as you rightly point out, there are too many forums in Using Moodle. Some forums will be closed soon; information about this will be posted in the moodle.org design forum.

In reply to Helen Foster

Hi Helen

To set the record straight, I didn't say, there are too many forums in Using Moodle. This is what I said:
===
"We need more forums" or "We need less forums" is the wrong approach. The right one IMHO would be,

a. compile the "overview" in 1. above.

b. Go through the definitions list and see whether the "organic growth" has _obvious_ mistakes, looking at the detailed description., just study how the pieces of the puzzle fits together.
===
http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=196302#p856602, point "2. The number of forums in Using Moodle".

Hi Helen

You wrote to me earlier:
>> as you rightly point out, there are too many forums in Using Moodle.

I went through the quoted discussion http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=196302 again and found to my great surprise who came up with that idea first. It is there in the original post, "Another issue is that people are overwhelmed by the number of forums in Using Moodle and don't know which one to post in, ..." By you!!!

Let us assume that it was decided to reduce the number of forums. How does a _new_ forum achieve that? Or, does the new forum replace a number of forums?
In reply to Helen Foster

by Derek Chirnside -

Progress Helen.  Thanks.

Is this to be only threads started by MoodleHQ developers on "Official" projects?  

Or is it any "projects of substance" started by whoever with specs in dev docs?  ie in the plugin area maybe.  (I dislike hacks)

Cheers,

-Derek

In reply to Derek Chirnside

by Dan Poltawski -

Is this to be only threads started by MoodleHQ developers on "Official" projects?

[IMO] Certainly not! Moodle HQ are not the only people contributing major functionality to Moodle core. Helen mentioned one of the catalysts for this forum was feedback from Andrew/Ruslan at LUNS not being able to get community feedback for the major features they contributed to Moodle 2.3.

Or is it any "projects of substance" started by whoever with specs in dev docs? ie in the plugin area maybe. (I dislike hacks)

Personally, I would like to see this forum limited to those projects which are intended to get into at Moodle core. In order to have focus and allow each topic to have the attention it deserves.

What are 'official' projects anyway? wink

Dan

In reply to Dan Poltawski

Hi Dan

You wrote:
> [IMO] Certainly not! Moodle HQ are not the only people contributing major functionality to Moodle core.

You are right. Still HQ decides which comes into the core.

Let's call those successful contributions "official".

> Helen mentioned one of the catalysts for this forum was feedback from Andrew/Ruslan at LUNS not being able to get community feedback for the major features they contributed to Moodle 2.3.

I see. That must be the "popular request" Helen was talking of in the "Moodle design" forum http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=211864.

> Personally, I would like to see this forum limited to those projects which are intended to get into at Moodle core. In order to have focus and allow each topic to have the attention it deserves.

Sure. It should be the breeding ground for future kings and queens - not a green mile. The only catch - the guardians must have foresight!

> What are 'official' projects anyway?

Can we agree on the definition I derived from your first sentence?

by Dan Poltawski -

Let's call those successful contributions "official".

Well then, I see this forum as a breeding ground for more 'official projects', then. smile

With good feedback from the community, there is more chance of projects being well thought out successful for integration to core.

In reply to Dan Poltawski

by Helen Foster -

To reiterate what Dan wrote: developers in the wider Moodle community are welcome to make use of the future major features forum as well as HQ developers.

I really hope that the new forum will encourage good practice amongst developers - first write a spec in the docs and then post in the future major features forum asking for community feedback.

I like Derek's definition 'any "projects of substance" started by whoever with specs in dev docs'. smile

In reply to Helen Foster

by Danny Wahl -

Yeah, I'm a little confused on this.  It seems you're suggesting that big feature request threads should be moved/open there, right?

IF so I'd say the "Dear Moodle ..." quickforms and YUI/jQuery (ducks) threads should be moved there.

Or are we only talking about requests that are going to happen?

In reply to Danny Wahl

by Helen Foster -

Hi Danny,

Hopefully my reply to Visvanath explains a bit more about the intended purpose of the new forum. If you're still confused, please say so.

The two discussions you mention seem to me to belong better here in the general developer forum, as I can't find any specs in the developer docs about them. wink