Import a course from one Moodle site to another Moodle site - not within a Moodle site

Import a course from one Moodle site to another Moodle site - not within a Moodle site

by Lee Anne Morris -
Number of replies: 5

I have had no luck doing this or finding any information on it.  Is it even possible to move a course from one site to another?  Any work arounds? Anything? 

Thanks, 
Lee Anne

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Lee Anne Morris

Re: Import a course from one Moodle site to another Moodle site - not within a Moodle site

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Very easy.

Old site - just backup the course.  Then go to Restore, download the backup file.  

New site - go to restore, upload the file that you downloaded from first site and restore it to new site.

Re: Import a course from one Moodle site to another Moodle site - not within a Moodle site

by ben reynolds -

Lee Anne,

I just following Mary to ask from what version of Moodle to what version of Moodle. There are definite steps from 1.9 to 2.3+ that need to be taken.

In reply to ben reynolds

by Lee Anne Morris -

Hi Mary, 

Yes, I am going from 1.9 to 2.3.  You guys are life savers. What do I need to know? 

Lee Anne

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

It *should *  be ok if you are backing up a 1.9 course and restoring it into a 2.3 Moodle. (With earlier versions of Moodle this didn't work, but it should with these versions)