Reviewing open attempts

Reviewing open attempts

by Paul Nijbakker -
Number of replies: 8

Hi all,

A quick straight question: In Moodle 1.9.x when a treacher reviewed an open quiz attempt (i.e. not submitted by the student) the student's answers were visible as well as the correct answers. In Moodle 2.3.x this is no longer the case, apparently. the grader can see the students answers in a quiz that is listed as "in progress" but not the correct answers. Am I right and, if so, why is this? Is there a way to get the review of an open attempt to display correct answers. It seems possible for students to see correct answers during an attempt (i.e. before it is submitted), if the review options are anything to go by, so why cannot the graders see the attempt in progress with the same information?

I'm asking this on behalf on a client for whom it is important to see the correct answers in open quiz attempts.

Rgrds,
Paul.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Paul Nijbakker

Re: Reviewing open attempts

by Paul Nijbakker -

And a related question would be: If it is not possible to see correct answers in open quiz attempts, is it then possible for a teacher to manually submit a student's quiz attempt?

Rgrds,
Paul.

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

The principle in Moodle 2.1 and later is that the teacher should see the question in the same state that the student sees it, except that:

1. The teachers view will always be read-only, even if the question is still in a state where the student can edit their answer.

2. The teacher may see more (e.g. right answer, mark, feedback, etc.) even if the student cannot see that. However, things like feedback can only be displayed after the question has been submitted.

So, there is is now way for the teacher to see a hypothetical "How many grades would the student get if they clicked Submit all and finish right now."

(Acutally, given the way the question engine works, it would not be too difficult to implement that feature, if someone wanted to try. smile)

In reply to Tim Hunt

by Paul Nijbakker -

Hi Tim,

Thanks for your reply. It is then as I surmised. In a course where quizzes must be always available (no closing date) and where adding a timer that can automatically submit quiz attempts is not an option, is there any way for a teacher to force-submit any open quiz attempts? (I have not been able to find any, other than going via the database as an admin).

Rgrds,
Paul.

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Moodle has a login-as feature, which lets those with suitable permissions do things as if they were another user. I have always been uncomfortable about the privacy issues of enabling that, but at the moment it is the only way for a teacher to close a student's quiz attempt.

It would be possible, quite easy acutally, to make a script that lets a teacher close student's quiz attempts. The back-end code to do this is just:

$attemptobj = quiz_attempt::create($attemptid);
$attemptobj->process_finish(time(), false);

so you would just need to decide how to hook that up in the UI. One could make a quiz report or block plugin, or change the display of the review.php page to show a button when a teacher is reviewing an open quiz attempt.

In reply to Tim Hunt

by Paul Nijbakker -

Hi Tim,

I have found someone willing to give it a try. Where in the quiz code doe the strings you provided have to go?

Rgrds,
Paul.

by Tim Hunt -

That is the right question to ask.

There is no clear answer. It requires thought.

by Chris Halweg -
Sorry to bring this thread up from the dead, but are there any updates on being able to review answers of open attempts in Moodle 2.x?

So far I can only view answers for Cloze questions while the attempt is open.  It would be very helpful to be able to view answers for open attempts for all types of questions, especially calculated questions.  For our courses, students have only a close time for the quiz, so no timelimit.  They will often work on it for a few days and email questions to the instructors.  Not knowing the answers makes it time consuming to give the student help.
In reply to Chris Halweg

by Erica Vail -

I don't see a way for the instructor to view answers on open quiz attempts, except for the essay question type.  I had a student with an open quiz and I could view her essay responses.  Hopefully a later version of Moodle will allow the instructor to view and grade more on open attempts.