Off line backups

Off line backups

by George Forman -
Number of replies: 6
I realize one needs the Moodle code to manage an eCourse site. However, I am trying to download the HTML pages from my Moodle eCourse on the server and put the course on a CD to then distribute the course as a sample (like a book chapter in an eBook) to educators. Does Moodle provide any tools for downloading the html pages that preserves the links? I can save all of the html pages as individal files and relink think in Dreamweaver, but this is incredibly labor intensive. I have tried assorted "web site grabbers" without much luck. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Dr. George Forman
University of Massachussetts
President, Videatives, Inc.
www.videatives.com
Average of ratings: -
In reply to George Forman

Re: Off line backups

by Thomas Haynes -
George...

I have thought about trying to have a cutom Moodle installation on a Lamppix CD. I have not done much more than think about it.

Link

Converting a subset of links into html sounds like an exercise in futility, and it would really miss much of the flavor. A custom install would allow people to experiment themselves with the 'dynamic learning environment.'

Regards...   Tom

by Martín Langhoff -
There are third party tools, search for 'crawlers', 'web spiders' or 'site rippers' in Google. The best ones are available for free.

by steve isaacs -

This is a good point.  I actually find that (even with some knowledge of PHP/MYSQL) the whole bridging from the database environment to a typical html environment is a bit elusive.  Like, in my mind, once i put something into the moodle database, it is only available through moodle, and not available in the file form. 

This causes some problems when trying to backup / restore if the backup/restore doesn't work quite right. 

Not sure if I am making sense, but some kind of tool that allowed you to 'extract' the files in a usable format would help smile

Steve
big moodle fan!

In reply to steve isaacs

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
There are two data areas of a Moodle system.

1) The "moodledata" directory - all uploaded files for all courses are in here in perfectly raw form. You can zip up this directory and move it around as you like.

2) The database - this holds all the other bits and pieces like forum posts, etc. All the stuff you "typed in" on the web.

You want to convert all the database content into "normal" web pages? It might be better to create your resources as normal web pages from the start and upload them into Moodle (where they'll be retained as normal files in moodledata.

Like Tom said above, though, the main magic of Moodle is the interactivity so you will lose a lot any way you slice it.
In reply to Martin Dougiamas

by steve isaacs -

Martin - I appreciate what you are saying.  I know HTML and can use an editor to create regular HTML pages.  However, one of the nice features of moodle is that you can just add a simple html web page using the moodle editor.  Would it be possible to have moodle save the typical text pages or html pages in some easy to use manner?  I can see why some of the add ons would not be conducive, but it seems like it might make sense to have the web pages saved as simple .htm files and stored that way in moddata.  Does that make sense? 

Steve