Grading options for Essay Questions

Grading options for Essay Questions

by Derek Chirnside -
Number of replies: 7

Is there a quicker way to grade Essay questions?

I'm assuming I have it right.  (from here: http://docs.moodle.org/23/en/Essay_question_type) In the Results > Grades screen, for each student we

1. Click "Requires grading"
  2. Click make comment or override mark
  3. Enter a value
  4. Click save
  5. Click to close window
  6. Click to refresh

My need is to have manually marked phrases and sentences and short paragraphs.  Quite a few of them.

-Derek

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Derek Chirnside

Re: Grading options for Essay Questions

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

In the quiz navigation, ... quiz name ... -> Results -> Manual grading.

In reply to Tim Hunt

by Derek Chirnside -

Tim, thanks.  I totally missed this.

What I'm looking for is what could be called a "free response short answer".  ie not a Short answer that is matched off a list as in Core Moodle, or an Essay, or even what could be automarked by your wonderful AI code.

The manual marking screen as it is is set up for proper essay marking, with tons of feedback space etc.

What about something like this following:    ???????????

I know: educationally it is good form to provide feedback.  Do you know of a combination where such a free response short answer option is possible, maybe with another question type, which is really compact and quick tpo mark on the screen?

Ideally even with the question frozen on the top and the answers scrolling??

And here is part of the reason I could not find this marking option.  I was using Decaf with Navigation menus switched off.  I just didn't follow up on the right menu tree.  I think this is in the wrong place.  Course Admin > Quizzes maybe better.  smile

Ever hopeful

-Derek

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

If you don't want to use text feedback, you might be able to hide the comment field using some CSS in your theme.

Also, someone else suggested that it was not necessary to keep repeating the question text. That was a good idea, but would require changing more than just CSS.

The most similar related bug is MDL-31581.

In reply to Tim Hunt

by Derek Chirnside -

Tim. Thanks.  This works.

Next question: this activity (removing some CSS) does tidy up the page a lot, and make the process of marking a little quicker.  You can have a lot of uncluttered answers.

Can this be easily incorperated on the page as a button?  "Marking view, answers only" 

-Derek

by Derek Chirnside -

OK, I've added a tracker item: https://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-39229

I dislike creating stuff I have not used.  Today I did some marking in a PHEC course I worked on assessment for, and it is in my opinion a little slower than it could be with a small redesign of the page.

It also meets my need for a Tweet length answer.

Comments????

-Derek

by Tim Hunt -

Another duplicate, of MDL-31581.

In reply to Tim Hunt

by Derek Chirnside -

Hmm.  Not sure about this Tim.  Do you understand  MDL-31581?  

My focus is streamlined grading for essay questions by some work on the grading report screen, which is not as far as I can see in this bug.  

Do you guys at the OP use this screen to mark essay type questions, or do you have a tweak?

-Derek