student editing profile - turning off selective fields

student editing profile - turning off selective fields

by Doug Moody -
Number of replies: 6

I use 2.3.2

Here is a screenshot of a student attempting to edit their own profile. There are some things here I don't want them to be able to do. For example, Timezone, Email display, and other dropdown boxes.

I checked out Moodledocs on Roles, but found nothing on those topics.

I still want students to be able to edit selected fields, but not all.

Any ideas?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Doug Moody

Re: student editing profile - turning off selective fields

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi Doug. It is in Settings>Site Administration>Plugins>Authentication>Manual accounts  (I just added it to the documentation here http://docs.moodle.org/en/User_profile_fields )

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Doug Moody -

Hi Mary,

Thanks for helping me find that menu. However, note the graphic below. I had the fields turned off that I didn't want them to be able to change, but the fields I was asking about (previous graphic above) are still not accessible to lock. (at least through this menu)

I tried doing it through roles, but there is no option for things like timezones, etc., there.

Do you have any other ideas?

In reply to Doug Moody

by Doug Moody -

bump.....

In reply to Doug Moody

by E. L. Cooper -

What exactly are you trying to turn off? For example time zone is set in the time zones administration.

In reply to E. L. Cooper

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Oh sorry - I seem to remember I tried to answer this last night, lost the internet connection and then got distracted! As EL says you can lock the timezone in Settings>Site admin>Location>location settings>force default timezone. I don't understand what you don't want them to to re email display but you hide it altogether in Settings>Site admin>Security>Site policies.

In reply to Mary Cooch

by E. L. Cooper -

I have had client schools and tutoring programs in the juvenile justice system who wanted to hide and keep hidden email addresses between students. I doubt if it is effective since the students just message that information to each other but it might provide some minor legal protection.