Quiz

Picture of alan haley
importing question banks

I am working in 2.2 version

I just got a data base of questions from the publisher of my text that has all the catagories and questions for the course.  Zipped folder from publisher contained three folders and one file.  The three folders are "course_files";  "moddata"; "user_files".  The one file is "moodle.xml".  I assume it is moodle.xml that I want to pick but it only goes to the first step. I open  "questions" --> import and selected the file to import. The file picker will load the file after 20 to 30 minutes of working but once the file is then selected and the actual import process begun a message screen pops up that says "Parsing questions from import file" and that is where the screen freezes. I thought at first it was slowly working its way through the process but there is nothing to suggest that. 

Publisher says that this file is designed for earler versions in the 1.85 range and thinks (but is not sure) that it may not be fit for the newer upgrade.  

Any ideas on this?

Average of ratings: -
Tim at Lone Pine Koala Sanctuary
Re: importing question banks
Group DevelopersGroup Documentation writersGroup Particularly helpful Moodlers

Actually, that looks like a Moodle a backup file (for Moodle 1.x).

So, try restoring it.

Tim at Lone Pine Koala Sanctuary
Group DevelopersGroup Documentation writersGroup Particularly helpful Moodlers

In case what I mean by that is not clear, Settings -> Course administration -> Restore, then follow your nose through numerous screens where you have to click next.

Picture of Vicki Dunnam

Did you choose the zipped files that have all the files in it?  Were you choosing the format "Moodle.xml" on the import screen.

I have been able to import questions into Moodle but we upgraded to Moodle 2.3.1+ Build 20120831 and it works.  I was having problems importing.

Hope this helps

Picture of alan haley

I am teaaching for the state of maine so changing the version of moodle is not an option for me.  What are the other files in the folder?  Is the one labeled moodle.xml the only one I shoudl be concentrating on?

paula
Group Particularly helpful Moodlers

Alan,

Try the restore as mentioned above and see if that works.  Upload the entire zipped file when you do it. Make sure that you tell it to merge the content into an existing course (your course). 

Let us know if you still have problems.

Paula cool