Q & A Forum Type - different in 2 than 1.9?

Q & A Forum Type - different in 2 than 1.9?

by Melissa Benson -
Number of replies: 5

Users are having issues with the Q & A forum type not working the same way in Moodle 2.3.1 than it did in 1.9.

There are no groups for this forum.

Moodle 1.9
Teacher has a Q & A forum type. She writes her prompt/directions in the description box. Students go to the forum and they see the attached screenshot.

Moodle 2
Teacher creates Q & A forum type. She writes her prompt/directions in the description box. Student goes to the forum and sees the attached screenshot.

Anyone else having issues with Moodle 2.3 and q & a forum types?? The teacher changed the permissions to allow them to post but now they can see other student's post before they post on their own..which is the entire point of this forum....any help would be much appreciated!

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Melissa Benson

Re: Q & A Forum Type - different in 2 than 1.9?

by Melissa Benson -

Another issue...I logged in as demo student 2, who has NOT posted..yet that demo student 2 can still see demo student 1's post?!

Attachment Screen shot 2012-09-12 at 12.41.45 PM.png

by Rob Johnson -

Hi Melissa,

It is only student replies that have access restricted.  The only change reported by my teachers from 1.9 is that students do not see replies until the editing window has expired.

I had to check my archived 1.9.7 site to be sure.  There, students were allowed to post a new question.  Replies were available immediately after a student saved his/her reply.

My teachers usually alter student permissions so they cannot start new discussions (questions), or delete own posts.

Off topic - after a year on Moodle 2, I had a hard time navigating 1.9.

Rob

by Donald Perry -

Having the same issue. V1.9 worked great and then we upgraded over the summer to v2.0 and it has been interesting. I  can see the entire post and new discussion button as the teacher. When I switch to student mode, I see the same thing in the pics above. Looked at the permissions and they seem to be OK. Don't know if there is an administrator setting that overrides/blocks something. Contacted our tech support, but still waiting.

In reply to Donald Perry

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

The 'Add a new question' button was removed for students in Moodle 2.2, as it was considered confusing for both students and teachers. Please see MDL-27735 for details. I've added a docs_required label to the issue to ensure it gets mentioned in the forum documentation.