Matching questions and special characters - M2

Matching questions and special characters - M2

by Elena Ivanova -
Number of replies: 8

I have seen several cases recently when Matching questions are very sensitive to any kind of special characters. So I was wondering if this is a bug or if we have a workaround.

Answer1:   Reasonable Domain   Match1:    0<x<9
Answer2:   Reasonable Range     Match2:     0<x<250

If you type exactly like this, then you will see only the first character (0) in the drop-downs

matching

If you will type 0 < x < 9 (add spaces), then you will always get it "wrong", unless you remove < characters.

matching2

I confirmed this on several M2 instances, including demo site.

Other characters that I had sometimes to remove from matching questions were '  "  and ...

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Elena Ivanova

Re: Matching questions and special characters - M2

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

@Elena,

We have exactly the same problem in the Quiz Matching question type. You must add spaces around the > and < signs for a Matching question to work.

Joseph

In reply to Joseph Rézeau

by Elena Ivanova -

But it still does not work sad

I do add spaces - then I attempt the question, answering it correctly. And then my answers are always "incorrect" ... (see my second screenshot).

So to make it work I should remove any kind of character that is even remotely "special":  > < " ' ...

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

You're right, this is definitely a bug. One workaround is to invert your left and right columns, i.e. place the "formulas" containing < or > signs in the Question field and the "normal text" in the Answer field.

Answer1: 0<x<9      Match1:    Reasonable Domain  
Answer2: 0<x<250  Match2:     Reasonable Range    

by Joseph Rézeau -

Reported as MDL-35448. Interested people please vote for it!

@Elena, if you can hack your moodle core files, you can use the patch I provide in the tracker, it's only 2 lines to change.

Joseph

by Elena Ivanova -

Thank you!

I have more though shy

1.  Quotes

2. Spanish characters

accents

by Joseph Rézeau -

Quotes and Spanish characters work OK for me.

If you want to provide more examples, please give the text of matching pairs as text, not as a screenshot image, so I can simply copy-paste.

Joseph

by Elena Ivanova -

I guess if I will copy/paste the ones from my example above - it would not help to replicate the issue. But just in case: 

1. First choice

1. First match

2. Second choice

2. Second match

3. Third Choice

3."Third match"

Moodle 2.3.2+ (Build: 20120914)

by Joseph Rézeau -

@Elena, as I said "Quotes and Spanish characters work OK for me."