Grading essays in Moodle Lesson

Grading essays in Moodle Lesson

بواسطة - Rachel Smith
عدد الردود: 12

HI there! I'm a teacher and a Moodle newbie. I've created a lesson in Moodle 2.2. My students answered some questions, essay questions, and when I went to view them under "grade essays" nothing shows up. I watched them typing in the responses, so I know they did the work. In addition, when I go to "reports," it says "not completed." I'm not sure what to do. I'd like to be able to read their responses. I was thinking that perhaps I chose an incorrect setting when I created the lesson. I understand how to edit a question/essay, but can't figure out how to edit the lesson's settings.

متوسط التقييمات: -
رداً على Rachel Smith

Re: Grading essays in Moodle Lesson

بواسطة - Karen Arksey

I have experienced a similar issue, we are on Moodle 2.3.  I found that students had to actually complete the lesson before the essay was available for grading.  Seems rather a strange thing especially when they click the submit button and receive the response that it has been submitted for grading and they still have have a lot of pages to work through before they get to the end of the lesson.

رداً على Karen Arksey

بواسطة - Joseph Rézeau
صورة Core developers صورة Particularly helpful Moodlers صورة Plugin developers صورة Testers صورة Translators

1.- Karen "I found that students had to actually complete the lesson before the essay was available for grading."

The reasons for this behaviour are explained in MDL-4174. And the conclusion is that "teacher cannot grade until student has finished the attempt". This is logical.

2.- Karen "Seems rather a strange thing especially when they click the submit button and receive the response that it has been submitted for grading and they still have have a lot of pages to work through before they get to the end of the lesson."

Not true. A student does not receive that "Your (2) essay question(s) will be graded and added into your final score at a later date." message until they reach the end of the Lesson.

Joseph

رداً على Joseph Rézeau

بواسطة - Ron Coller

I am having pretty much the same issue as Karen.  I am not able to grade the essays either, I tried to End Branch, then end lesson, end branch, cluster, and end lesson, I have not changed the default settings, same issue so then went in and changed them all and multiple combinations just to see about getting something other than "No essay questions found in lesson" I am using Moodle 2.2.1 PHP version 5.3.10 on a Windows Server 2008 R2 Enterprise Edition Service Pack 1)i586

Any ideas?

رداً على Ron Coller

بواسطة - Joseph Rézeau
صورة Core developers صورة Particularly helpful Moodlers صورة Plugin developers صورة Testers صورة Translators

Sorry, Ron, but your post is totally confusing. It is not clear what you have been doing.

Joseph

رداً على Joseph Rézeau

بواسطة - Ron Coller

Sorry about that, I have set up a lesson with the default settings. When I added a Essay question to grade, I cannot find a way to grade it, when I click on the "Grade Essay" tab it tells me that there is "No essay question found in lesson" I have added the "End of Branch" to close the Lesson after the essay question. This did not work either, I have tried to just "End Lesson" this did not work, I have went in to the settings of the Lesson to see if there is any thing that does not look right, to see if I make some changes to the default settings if this would allow faculty members to grade their essays that were in a lesson. I am at a loss!

رداً على Ron Coller

بواسطة - Joseph Rézeau

Ron "When I added a Essay question to grade, I cannot find a way to grade it, when I click on the "Grade Essay" tab it tells me that there is "No essay question found in lesson".

Well, obviously if you get that message it means that you never created an Essay question in your Lesson. On the Lesson edit page, Collapsed view, do you see your Essay question as per attached screenshot?

Joseph

المرفق 24-09-2012 15-16-29.jpg
رداً على Joseph Rézeau

بواسطة - Ron Coller

Yes I have entered an essay question. I have inserted some images, so that you can see I have the essay jumping to the end of lesson when finished. In the reports view I am able to see the person and see that they have responded to the essay when click on the Attempts. But I am unable to grade it through the lesson. This is creating some issues when the faculty member wants to use the Activity Completetion this will not allow the student to go on with the course until the grade is entered through the lesson.

Essay  edit

Reports viewEssay Response image

رداً على Ron Coller

بواسطة - Joseph Rézeau

Hi Ron, I am first referring to your previous message.

1.- Ron "when I click on the "Grade Essay" tab it tells me that there is "No essay question found in lesson".

Unfortunately you did not include (in your second message) in your screenshots a picture showing that error message. Are you still getting that message or not?

2.- Ron "I have added the "End of Branch" to close the Lesson after the essay question." I do not see any End of Branch question in your Lesson screenshot. I suppose you removed it?

-------

Which version of Moodle are you using?

Could you do a backup of your lesson (without user data) and attach it to your next post, so I can try it out on my local moodle test site? If you prefer you can attach the backup file to a private email to me (see my profile); it will be treated confidentially.

Joseph

رداً على Joseph Rézeau

بواسطة - Ron Coller

Moodle version 2.2.1+ Build 20120202

I am still getting the message "No essay questions found in this lesson."

I have taken out a lot of the lesson to see if there is anything causing the issue. Like End Branch, and end cluster. I am unsure if they were needed or not.

I will send this to your email, it is too large to send through the site. Here is the image I get when I click on Grade Essay's

grade essay image error

رداً على Joseph Rézeau

بواسطة - Ron Coller

Joseph,

This has fixed our issue. Thank you for taking the time to help me out!

Made modification to mod\lesson\essay.php per Moodle Bug # MDL-29873 as a workaround.  Here is the workaround text from the bug report:

In mod\lesson\essay.php, I change the referenced to the question type constant LESSON_PAGE_ESSAY to a literal and things seem to work.

case 'display': // Default view - get the necessary data
default:
// Get lesson pages that are essay
$pages = $lesson->load_all_pages();
foreach ($pages as $key=>$page) {
if ($page->qtype !== 10) { // LSN changed this, was: LESSON_PAGE_ESSAY) unset($pages[$key]); }
}

The qtype column in mdl_lesson_pages is defined in SQL Server as a smallint, and the qtype I saw for my page was 10.

Also please note that I am a database person, not a php person, so it may be okay that LESSON_PAGE_ESSAY is defined only in mod\lesson\pagetypes\essay.php and only as a string:

define("LESSON_PAGE_ESSAY", "10");

... but really this change to a literal 10 did the trick.

رداً على Ron Coller

بواسطة - Joseph Rézeau

Well-spotted, Ron. It's a pity that bug MDL-29873 has remained unfixed for almost a year. Unfortunately Moodle's Lesson module no longer has an active maintainer, and bugs can remain unfixed for many months or years...

Joseph

رداً على Rachel Smith

بواسطة - Joseph Rézeau

@Rachel,

Did your students reach the end of the Lesson, or did they leave it before reaching the end? As mentioned in this thread, if a Lesson contains essays, they will not be visible and gradeable by the teacher if the student quits the Lesson before the end.

Joseph