Flash module add-on: .mp4 in flowplayer v/s QT, moodle 2.3.2

Flash module add-on: .mp4 in flowplayer v/s QT, moodle 2.3.2

by Will Taylor -
Number of replies: 1

Have upgraded to Moodle 2 (2.3.2), and am sorely missing the MediaPlayer module ...

The media filter is directing .flv files (or .mp4's relabeled as .flv) to the FlowPlayer player - but is not picking up .mp4's with the .mp4 file extension left native, which display in the QT plugin.

My understanding is that FLowPlayer will play .mp4's labeled as such, so am wondering if this assignment to player is made somewhere in the Moodle media filter?   I have scoured the filter files  and flowplayer files in /lib without being able to identify where this might reside.

I do appreciate the complex discussion re FLASH v/s HTML5 video, let's not get into that here ;^).

btw, we could use much better documentation re video handling in the 2.+ versions of Moodle - & perhaps one of these support forums (fora?) dedicated to video delivery in Moodle ?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Will Taylor

Re: Flash module add-on: .mp4 in flowplayer v/s QT, moodle 2.3.2

by Laurent MACABIES -

Hi Will,

Here are some tricks to do what you want > http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=208849

I've just found this thread, I didn't test with my own mp4 files, generated with Camtasia software. I'll keep you posted.

But to be honest with you, I do prefer the last proposal on this thread... FlowPlayer is able to read mp4 files, so why Quicktime is the default player for this format?! The default for mp4 should be FlowPlayer, that's it...

Simple is beautiful wink...

Regards,