User profiles – can't view users' full profiles in Moodle 2.3

User profiles – can't view users' full profiles in Moodle 2.3

by Russell Robshaw -
Number of replies: 9

I'm using Moodle 2.3 & when I'm logged-on in the Administrator role in a course area, I can view users' brief profiles & by clicking the Full profile button, I can view users' full profiles. smile  However, when I'm logged-on in the Teacher role, in the same course area, although I can still view users' brief profiles, the Full profile button isn't displayed, so I can't view the more detailed information. sad  Any advice about how I can view users' full profiles as a Teacher please? 

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Russell Robshaw

Re: User profiles – can't view users' full profiles in Moodle 2.3

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi Russell,

On moodle.org everyone can view full profiles because the capability moodle/user:viewdetails is allowed for the authenticated user role. If you only want teachers to be able to view full profiles, you'd need to assign them a system role for which the capability is allowed.

In reply to Helen Foster

by Usman Arshad -

Hi Russell and Helen

We have this same issue too.

In Users>Permissions>Define role - the Teacher role has the moodle/user:viewdetails capabaility set to allow.  As a teacher i still cant view another users Full profile.

Another capability which we think could be related to view a Full profile of another user is listed below, which is already set to Allow as well:

View hidden details of users
moodle/user:viewhiddendetails

Russell did you find a solution to this problem? Or any progress?

In reply to Usman Arshad

Re: how to enable teachers to view full profiles

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi Usman,

It's not sufficient to allow the capability moodle/user:viewdetails for the teacher role because users are normally assigned the teacher role at course level.

I've just added instructions on how to enable teachers to view full profiles to the documentation Capabilities/moodle/user:viewdetails. Please shout if anything is unclear.

In reply to Helen Foster

Re: how to enable teachers to view full profiles

by Peter Diedrichs -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

I cannot get this working.

I want all users (logged in user) to be able to view the "Optional" fields with the contact information, but not the extra profile fileds that we have added (in an added profile category), containing the social security number of each user and that is used only in the grade report.

The only fields I managed to make visible was the extra profile fileds, not the Optional fileds.

I have tested as a editingteacher in a course.

The role permissions

editingtecher is set to default,

• moodle/user:viewdetails - ALLOW
  • moodle/user:viewalldetails - NOT SET
  • moodle/course:viewhiddenuserfields - ALLOW

• moodle/user:viewhiddendetails - ALLOW

Logged in user
viewdetails viewalldetails viewhiddenuserfields
 viewhiddendetailsCan see Full profile link Can see optional  Can see extra field
Not set Not set Not set Not set No No No
Allow AllowAllow
 Allow Yes No Yes

As you can see, Optional fileds never gets visible. The extra fields does, though.

Any tip about what I should do?

In reply to Usman Arshad

by Russell Robshaw -

Hi Helen & Usman

Thank-you to both of you for your responses to my initial query – my apologies for not acknowledging this earlier than now. blush

My initial reason for wanting 'Teachers' to see users' full profiles was to allow them to view a specific piece of information that would uniquely identify the user from others of the same name.  After I'd posted my query I found a solution to my particular requirement using a different approach, that meant I didn't need to see a users' full profile after all!  surprise  So, although a 'Teacher' still can't see a users' full profile on our Moodle, I no longer have a need for a 'Teacher' to be able to do so.  That said, thank-you Helen for the solution that you have provided – I've bookmarked it in case a need to use it in the future.  smile

In reply to Russell Robshaw

by Usman Arshad -

Hi Russell

I'm curious as what different approach do you currently use to view specific details of a user account?  Assuming it is some functionality within moodle.

In reply to Usman Arshad

by Paul Tosney -

At our school we wanted students to see teacher's full profiles as that is where teachers put info such as office hours, contact details and other things that are of use to students. We also wanted teachers to see last access dates on student profiles.

This was enabled by allowing moodle/user:viewhiddendetails for authenticated users at a system level.

This allows a user to view any hidden user fields (such as description, city/town, country, web page, ICQ number, Skype ID, Yahoo ID, AIM ID, MSN ID and last access) on users' profile pages.

In reply to Paul Tosney

by Oday Ahmed -
can you please let me know ow u did iy