Controlling navigation in a lesson

Controlling navigation in a lesson

Kate Rhodes -
Atsakymų skaičius: 8

Hi there, I'm hoping this is possible...

Right now I have a lesson set up. On the first page a video plays, and when the video finishes the user is to answer some questions based on the content of the video.

What I would like to do is make sure the user cannot click "next" to go to the questions until the video is finished running.

When I use to use authorware, I could program the "next" or "continue" button to only be active when the video reached the last frame. Is that possible to do with the navigation in a lesson? If not,  does anyone have ideas on how I can make sure they can't continue until the video finishes?  I know this is dumb, because you can't be sure they are even watching it - it's a client request.

Thanks folks!

Kate

Įvertinimų vidurkis: -
Atsakymas į Kate Rhodes

Re: Controlling navigation in a lesson

Lynn Scarlet Clark -

Kate - I'm pretty certain that's impossible... but I may have an alternative for you: I'm hoping you're pulling the video together?

Add a static image to the end of your video which says something like 'advance to the next screen' and let the video stop on that point. In most editing software you can add this in simply and also add in hyperlinked text. Put in the active URL to the next lesson screen over the top of this static image. The idea is that when your students/learners play the video at the end they can click the screen and advance that way. This ensures they have to watch the whole thing - otherwise they'll not see anything else of the lesson.

Remember to write in a warning that they need to watch the video to be able to advance further - or they'll wonder what on earth they're doing and how to carry on!

Atsakymas į Lynn Scarlet Clark

Kate Rhodes -

YES!!! I did the edit on the videos so that should work perfectly!

Oh this is terrific - I'll be able to use that function on several courses.

Thank you!

Cheers, Kate

Kate Rhodes -

Hi there, I've added the static screen to the end of one of the videos, however, once I put it in the lesson - how do put in the active URL to the next lesson screen over the top of this static image?

I've compressed the video as an flv, and it's using the flowplayer to display it on the lesson page.

I tried adding the hyperlink using a flash marker in the editing software but it doesn't seem to work in the compressed file.

What do you think?

K

Atsakymas į Kate Rhodes

Lynn Scarlet Clark -

Hi Kate - sorry I don't tend to read the forum posts overnight...

What video editing software are you using? I can't help you further unless I know which it is and if I'm familiar with it. It may need some coding.

Lynn Scarlet Clark -

Kate - soem more info:

If you've not got a feature-full editor - there are a few programmes out there that may help. This one has a free trial/free for non-commercial downoad and will put in links: Moyea

Lynn Scarlet

Kate Rhodes -

No problem. Thanks for getting back to me.

I use Adobe CS5 Suite, Premiere for editing. I have the ability to insert flash markers and export flv's.

I've been reading adobe forums but haven't found much help yet. Still looking!

Saw your link to that other software, thank you. I think Premeire/Flash will do all this too but I'm not certain.

Atsakymas į Kate Rhodes

Lynn Scarlet Clark -

Hi Kate - I'vegot a solution for you know I know what you use. I've got premiere Elements (I blieve you can add a link in with the full version, but not in the one I've got).

You need another piece of software, but luckily this one has a freebie trial version and it's fairly cheap to get thereafter: Camtasia

With this you can add annotations, links, text etc very, very easily (it's primarily a screen/audio grabbing video kit - we use it a lot here). You can find it all in the help files, but I found a YouTube explanation for you:

There are other similar vids too. 

I know it's a faff but sometimes there's no easy fix. There's always a fix though! It'll get you what your client wants in terms of view the whole movie then move on to the next screen.

Kate Rhodes -

Terrific! Thank you for spending so much time helping me out. I'll let you know how I make out.

Cheers! Kate