HTTP Error 500 in admin/index.php and in admin/settings.php

HTTP Error 500 in admin/index.php and in admin/settings.php

by Pedro Monteiro -
Number of replies: 6

Hello!

I was wondering if someone could help with this problem:

My moodle site in working well.

The only problem I'm having is that when I log as a site administrator and I try to acess admin/index.php and to admin/settings.php I'm getting an HTTP 500 error.

I've already checked Apache error log and PHP error log and no errors are logged concerning this issue.

All other options in site administration are working.

Here are my moodle details:

Moodle 2.3.1+

Ubuntu Server 12.04

Apache 2.2.22

PHP 5.3.10

I should refer that these pages have already been working  for several weeks and today I faced myself with this problem. I remember that yesterday I updated some packages, but i can't be sure if PHP packages were updated.

Thanks a lot!

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Pedro Monteiro

Re: HTTP Error 500 in admin/index.php and in admin/settings.php

by m b -

Yes I am experiencing a similar problem.

I await any reply to this with eager interest.  I have similar setup to you. PHP Version 5.3.2-1ubuntu4.18

I can access several areas of site admin such as 

..../admin/plugins.php but cannot access settings of each plug in

I cannot access 

.....admin/index.php

....admin/settings.php?section=ajax

etc

Any ideas gratefully received

In reply to Pedro Monteiro

by Rangga Wiratno -

Anyone solved this problem yet?? I'm having the same problem, even after reinstalling Moodle, it doesn't solve my problem. >.<

EDIT: turns out I had to remove then reinstall php in my server, it seems to solve my problem, so far so good.

In reply to Rangga Wiratno

by Jason Schwanz -
Any additional guidance on this? We're running Ubuntu 10.04, Apache 2.2.14, Moodle 2.2.5, and PHP 5.3.2-1ubuntu4.18. Is the only resolution apt-get remove && apt-get install?
In reply to Jason Schwanz

by Ken Task -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers
Qualification for this response: I don't run ubuntu, but ... If moodle was originally installed via apt-get and one is having issues, wonder if the apt-get method of installation/maintaining is not questionable in the future as well. Sometimes following the recommendations for installations (even though there might be 'easy buttons' and 'one click installers' and packages that 'provide it all') are best followed ... for initial install as well as future updates/upgrades and migrations. If one already has PHP, MySQL, and Apache, all one needs is the moodle code and it's easy to manually setup a moodle using git. Learning that process, which isn't that steep, means one might be better off in acquiring updates/upgrades when the time comes. Got the following by googling: All actions with apt (apt-get) are logged. These files are available in /var/log/apt/. To view the most recent history log, execute: less /var/log/apt/history.log These logs gets rotated (every month I guess), old files will be suffixed with a number and compressed. So to view the next history log, use: zless /var/log/apt/history.log.1.gz To view the logs available: ls -la /var/log/apt/ Do apt-get installations of web based apps tag all files with appropriate ownership/permissons? I run CentOS (preference, not a recommendation for all). Have gotten out of some pickles because of that, me thinks! my 2 cents, of course! In the 'spirit of sharing', Ken
In reply to Ken Task

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Yep. Please avoid packaged based and other 'one click' installers. They had their chance but, in varying interesting ways, they don't work and are a nightmare to provide support for.