Can I copy a Forum to another course - Same Install

Can I copy a Forum to another course - Same Install

by Sam Geppi -
Number of replies: 7

I have a four module course running and I want to keep the same forum running through out.. is it possible to copy the forum to the next module and on and on like tht or do I nbeed to create a new Forum for each new Module.

thanks

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Sam Geppi

Re: Can I copy a Forum to another course - Same Install

by Derek Chirnside -

Sam, it depends what you mean when you say 'module'

If you mean "section" then yes, you can move forums from one section to another.  You can of course put the common forum in section zero and have it there the whole time, always.

-Derek

In reply to Derek Chirnside

by Richard Oelmann -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

And if you mean they are on spearate moodle courses, then consider putting the forum in a separate course and setting up course meta link enrolments so that students are automatically enrolled into the one that just contains the forum. You can then put a hyperlink to the forum on each of the 'main' courses so that all students can access one central forum

HTH

Richard

In reply to Richard Oelmann

by Colin Fraser -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Testers

Both Derek and Richard offer workable solutions but if you want to simplify it, just use the Import function to move something from one course to another. As long as you have edit rights to both courses then you can import a single assignment to a whole section. Experiment a little with it, and see what you can do. With forums though, a quick test reveals that you may not be able to bring student data in easily, but in my haste, I might have missed setting that option..

Average of ratings: Useful (1)

by Sam Geppi -

thanks all.

Richard - where are the instructions on how to do this..?

In reply to Sam Geppi

by Richard Oelmann -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

http://docs.moodle.org/23/en/Course_meta_link

You may have to enable Course MetaLinks in your site - Settings > Site administration > Plugins > Enrolments > Manage enrol plugins

But then, set up your main courses first, then set up a separate course containing just the forum - or any other resources which may be shared across the main courses [I'm using 'courses' in the moodle sense here - I think from what you have posted this equates to your 'modules'?]

Then in Settings > Course administration > Users > Enrolment methods choose Course Meta Links and then choose each of your main courses in turn.

You will need to set up a link for each of the courses IF you have different students on each one - IF, on the other hand,  all the same students are on all the courses then there is only a need to enrol them once via the first module they will be enroled on and you could use the same method to automatically enrol them on each of the following ones! eg Use whatever enrolment system you have to enrol the students on Course A - and automagically onto the separate CourseForum, then using course metalinks again, automagically enrol them onto CourseB, CourseC and so on - this of course depends on how exactly you organise the modules, whether they are paid for or a load of other factors!

HTH

Richard

by Sam Geppi -

awesome, that looks exactly liek what I am trying to do>

In reply to Sam Geppi

by Sam Geppi -

I have set up the metacourse and enrolled all of the users in all four courses - 3 of the courses as children to the first ..

But how do I share the forum from the parent course with the three child courses?

oh I see.. I can just add a LINK to that first forum