Gradebook

Picture of Richard Barnes
Round up grade letters in 2.1.4

I am using version 2.1.4. I have just learned that Moodle will not automatically round up numerical grades to the next letter grade. Specifically, 92.5 is read by Moodle as a 92, not a 93. Therefore, according to our school's grade scale for letters, Moodle will give the student an A- (92), not an A (93). I got the grade to display as A by manually changing the final grade from 92.5 to 93.0.

Is there a better solution than this manual solution?

Picture of Bob Puffer
Re: Round up grade letters in 2.1.4
Group Particularly helpful Moodlers

in your school is anything over 92 an 'A' or just when it hits 92.5?  Otherwise you can edit your letters in the gradebook (Letters tab) and make it work.

It's an A- from 92.0-92.4. It becomes an A at 92.5-92.9. In other words, it gets rounded up to a 93.0.

I wish we could edit the letters in the gradebook to the first digit, but we can only edit whole numbers without decimal points.

Thanks for replying!

Picture of Bob Puffer

tracker.moodle.org 

Vote early, vote often

Thanks, Bob, for pointing me to MDL-20367. I voted and posted my concern there.

Picture of Ziyad Muslat

Hi there, I have seen this post and wanted to participate. I think you can have the rounding you desire by using Categories in your course and formulas. I would create a category in your grade book and put all your grades items in it so that your category total will be your actual course total before rounding. Then in the course total I will introduce a formula by which a 0.5 will be added to each student total
Picture of David Helton
Re: Round up grade letters in 2.1.4/SOLUTION

I too would like to see Moodle introduce functionality to easily round up fractional percentages in the grading scale since that is my policy for the CIS courses I teach at Northern Michigan University.  In the interim, I accomplish this by using a level of indirection that actually stores the rounded values, as follows:

(1) Using Simple or Full view within Grade Administration, create a new category, giving it a Category Total Name of "Course Average," for example, and an ID Number, such as “couravg."  Use the Move "action" to nest within this category all other categories and grade items. (2) Edit the main category for the entire course, setting the Category Total Name to "Course Letter Grade" and its Grade Display Type to "Letter(real)," initially, to test whether actual rounding occurs.  Edit Calculation for Course Letter Grade, inserting formula =round(couravg, 0). After verifying rounding really worked, reset Grade Display Type to "Letter"  to simlify the display in User Report.   

Here is an example of what the student sees, correctly rounded: on the next-to-last line "Course Average 79.50" and on the last line "Course Letter Grade B-" 

Picture of David Helton

As a clarification of my last post, the ID number in the formula, couravg, will need to be preceded by 2 left square brackets and followed by 2 right square brackets, as you are aware, which might not appear in the posting type.

Picture of Hartmut Scherer

Hi David,

Thanks a lot for sharing the workaround for rounding up grade letters. The first time I tried the formula "=round(||couravg||, 0)", I got the feedback invalid formula. I am using Moodle 2.2+ (Build: 20111223). When I left out zero like this "=round(||couravg||)," it worked. 

With kind regards,

Hartmut