Inconsistent Summing of Student Grades

Inconsistent Summing of Student Grades

by Daniel Russo -
Number of replies: 5

We have created a very large gradebook for tracking student clinic hours for our Chriopractic Program.  Some of the 20 sub-categories have 40 different grade item and we have almost 100 students in the course. 
The issue is that for some students the  sub-category total is not summing the grades from the graded items in that sub-category. While it does for others in the same category. Also, in some cases when there is a change in a grade item, the sum is not updating. The issue is in the sub-category total, not in the grade items themselves, those are updating.

We are using Moodle version 1.9.18

Thank you for any assistance you can provide.

Daniel Russo

drusso@uws.edu

In reply to Daniel Russo

Re: Inconsistent Summing of Student Grades

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

There is an issue with PHP that causes this behavior.  When the gradebook grid becomes too large, it maxxes out and allows no more entries.  Workarounds are as follows:

Enter the grades through the assignment instead of the grader page.

Show less students per page so that the "grid" becomes smaller.

Change the php setting to allow a larger number of entries in the grader report. (max_input_vars)

In reply to Emma Richardson

by Daniel Russo -

Thank you Emma,

Changing the setting seems to be helping. Much appreciated.

In reply to Daniel Russo

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Glad to have helped. Wasn't sure what your access level was -hence the different options! 

In reply to Emma Richardson

by Alexander Perez -

Hi,

Where do I change the php setting. I'm going back and forward but I haven't figure out why is showing category totals for some students and for some not.