Forum as a Photo Gallery

Forum as a Photo Gallery

by Mike Churchward -
Number of replies: 14
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
I was trying to come up with a good, integrated photo gallery solution for Moodle, when it came to me (actually it came to me in my sleep - I do a lot of designing while sleeping - I need help), we already have a solution. The forum module!

It has everything we need:
  • the ability to define who can post and view,
  • a way to upload the image,
  • the ability to title (subject) and describe (post) the image,
  • the ability for others to comment on the post,
  • the ability for the post to be rated.
The only thing that needs to be done is to turn around the interface so that the image gets priority rather than the post. This isn't too difficult - just use a new forum type ('gallery'), and act on that.

As an experiment, I copied the forum module to a new module called 'gallery', left the database the same, used the existing forum library as necessary and replaced the functions I needed, and came up with a working prototype (see attached for an example view).

What I did was make each discussion an image post. I reworked the display to show each discussion as a thumbnail with title and other info (attached). Clicking on the post would display the full-sized image with description and any other replies (if allowed) plus ratings (if set).

What do you think?

If this works, it could also be used for a document library / repository. Using the same techniques, change the display to suit file uploads.

mike
Attachment forum-gallery.jpg
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Mike Churchward

Re: Forum as a Photo Gallery

by koen roggemans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Translators
Sure is a nice way of recycling smile

I like the rating possibility a lot.

Since I don't have a clue about the engine under the hood of the forum module, this might sound like a silly question: would it be possible to upload a lot of pictures eg in a zip-file (like the current show folder resource ?

In reply to koen roggemans

by Mike Churchward -
Not in its current form, no. I'm imagining that each discussion is an image. So each discussion has exactly one image upload. That way, each image has a title, description, potential rating and comments.

mike

by N Hansen -
It definitely has potential, but a good photo gallery in my opinion allows for the inclusion of metadata about the photos, that could be used for searching and sorting images. I like your layout and the potential to add comments and discussion, but more fields for data would be nice. A hybrid data module/forum would be nice.
In reply to N Hansen

by Mike Churchward -
There has been talk (at least top-level discussion), about extending the Forum module to include more metadata. That's why I'd like to continue to use the forum module.

mike

by Mike Churchward -
Need some opinions.

What would be better? Making this an extra forum type, or a completely separate module? In either case, I will recycle and share as much of the existing forum code as possible.

From a technical implementation standpoint, I think a new forum type makes more sense. But I'm not sure that makes the most sense from a user standpoint.

If we go with the forum type, creating a gallery means adding a forum and then setting its type to 'gallery'. Galleries would not have their own separate activity listing.

If we go with a new module (using the forum code), creating a gallery would be adding a 'gallery'. Likewise, galleries could have their own activity listings.

Thoughts?

by Enrique Castro -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers
Hi Mike,
 I will comment from a user's perspective. In fact, from a particular usage scenario. I teach in Medicine School. What morphologists seem to need here is a way to present collections of images to the students. For instance, microscope slide collections from  epithelial tissue, muscle tissue etc. These may be considered almost "Resources", not a great space for user interaction inside. The requirements would be:
  • Uploadable in bulk (the whole collection as a zip file or so)
  • Hierarchical categories
  • Metadata for each image (like author, name, procedence etc): only written by teacher/curator
  • Categories and metadata searchable
  • Space for users comment and annotations (personal or shareable). Here there is space for a forum-like mini-thread of comments
  • Rating for comments/annotations
  • Linking the gallery to quizzes/lesson for testing
The whole thing is much, much more similar to a Glossary than to a forum. Actually, I have been doing it with glossaries. Glossaries do have other characteristic you mentioned in the OP: rating system, user permission control system etc. I would see it as a better start point.

For casual use, "just look my holiday's photos", plain forums or the PhotoPhrame just are "good enough".

just an opinion,
- Enrique -

In reply to Enrique Castro

by Mike Churchward -
I never considered the glossary... I haven't spent enough time familiarizing myself with it.

Having looked at it again, you may have a good point. Its already set up to do the things I wanted to do with it - all it needs is a better interface more suited to a gallery than what it has now.

'Glossary' seems to be an understated name for this module. It looks like its more designed to gather collections of information and resources. In fact, this looks like it could double as a file repository as well.

mike

by Mark Stevens -
We use glossaries for photo albums all the time and they are great, but if you could make them cooler that would be fantastic! What additional features are you thinking of?

by Enrique Castro -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers
Hi,
Indeed, I see glossaries more like a bicycle-man database.

One thing I missed in my previous post but that I have checked with some morphologist friends, are thumbnails.
Yes, it is quite obvious for any of them (used to photo galleries, collections etc.) that a sliding row/column of thumbnails is the best to locate images. When viewing by author, by category etc., or as the result of a search, they see as more useful a list of thumbnails, in addition to text metadada, of course.

- Enrique -

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Frankly all of this is a job for the Database module ... if it's done like I'm imagining it will be able to do all these tasks and more. Right after 1.5 I'm going to start with Teemu's latest version and see where we can take it.

Turning the Forum module this way just increases the "every module does everything" syndrome that is creeping in (when it should be "every module does one thing really well").  

But Mike, for the forum module, there is a pressing need for meta-tagging and I'd love it if you could take it on for us.
In reply to Martin Dougiamas

by Teemu Sumi -
Database module works in a different way. We can always make changes.

Database module shows list of users who have replied and you can view max 1600 thumbnails of one user on single page with no horizontal scrolling. Page loading takes too much time, so this max value is just academic. You can browse every user's output step by step (next/previous links or name on dropdown menu).

Teemu

This forum post has been removed

The content of this forum post has been removed and can no longer be accessed.