Learning PHP for MOODLE

Learning PHP for MOODLE

by Miles Derksen -
Number of replies: 5

Is there any specific resources for learning PHP programming specifically for MOODLE. I know HTML, CSS quite good - but this PHP seems to be a mystery. Would learning general PHP programming give me a good idea of what is going on in MOODLE.

For example, today, I wanted to just change the link at the bottom of the Login Block...in html this is really easy.   PHP it seems to be a mystery...

I just want to change the link from going to the Signup.php page to the Index.php page in the Login folder so I can give extra instructors... OR add some instructions tot he Signup.php page...

Any thoughts? Thanks

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Miles Derksen

Re: Learning PHP for MOODLE

by Andrew Normore -

Good luck bro,

Moodle is VERY tricky to start figuring out. Learn PHP outside of moodle, and work your way in, is my advise.

MAKE SURE you learn Object Oriented Programming for PHP before jumping in to Moodle. 

In reply to Andrew Normore

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

@Andrew, Just to contradict...wink

Most of the PHP I know I learnt through Moodle, not outside of it. And I still have only very vague notions of Object Oriented Programming.

But then I'm only an amateur programmer.

Joseph

In reply to Joseph Rézeau

by Andrew Normore -

Hey that's awesome! I guess jumping strait in to Moodle can work, but holy smokes, that must be a steep learning curve.

I'm a professional coder now (says me), I'm having trouble wrapping my mind around Moodle.

To each his own smile

In reply to Miles Derksen

by Itamar Tzadok -

around line 32

$signup = $wwwroot . '/login/signup.php';
change to

$signup = $wwwroot . '/login/index.php';

see if that does what you want. smile

In reply to Itamar Tzadok

by Miles Derksen -
You are a genius! Thanks so much. It work perfectly. I tried changing "signup.php" to index.php down at the bottom but not where you suggested... Thanks so much!