Moodle community sites

Picture of Helen Foster
Recent activity block in Using Moodle
Group DevelopersGroup Documentation writersGroup Moodle HQGroup Particularly helpful MoodlersGroup Testers

Although the recent activity block in this course is usually extremely long, I expect I'm not the only one who often scrolls and scrolls its entire length, rather than making use of the full report of recent activity. wink

Martin mentioned to me today though that the recent activity block is very intensive, and deleting it would likely improve performance a lot. Thus I'm going to remove it from the course page soon and instead add a link to the full report of recent activity in section 0. We could also have an HTML block with a link to the full report of recent activity if anyone would like that?

Average of ratings:Useful (2)
Mary Cooch
Re: Recent activity block in Using Moodle
Group Documentation writersGroup Moodle Course Creator Certificate holdersGroup Moodle HQGroup Particularly helpful MoodlersGroup TestersGroup Translators

I totally understand the reasons behind this - I am, however really struggling getting used to its absence as  I rely on it to see at a glance what's happened since I was last aroundsmile

Average of ratings: -
Picture of Itamar Tzadok
Group DevelopersGroup Documentation writersGroup Particularly helpful Moodlers

This doesn't seem to work very well. One of the most useful features of the late recent activity block was the list sorting which allowed me to browse new posts by one refresh. In the report I can set it to sort by date, but that seems only a secondary sort, and the posts seem to be sorted first by category and only then by date, which defeats the purpose because I still have to browse the whole list for detecting new posts. smile

Picture of Helen Foster
Group DevelopersGroup Documentation writersGroup Moodle HQGroup Particularly helpful MoodlersGroup Testers

Itamar, if you sort recent activity by date - most recent last (an advanced setting) doesn't it list posts exactly like the recent activity block did, and allow you to browse new posts by refreshing the page? Apologies if I'm missing something here. thoughtful

Picture of Itamar Tzadok

See below. smile

Picture of Helen Foster

Hmm, I just tried sorting by date - most recent first and found all post sorted correctly according to the minute. I'll keep clicking the 'Show recent activity' button on the page to see whether I can reproduce the problem.

Mary Cooch
Group Documentation writersGroup Moodle Course Creator Certificate holdersGroup Moodle HQGroup Particularly helpful MoodlersGroup TestersGroup Translators

I am getting the same result as Itamar thoughtful

Picture of Itamar Tzadok

Well, in the meantime perhaps you could return the recent_activity block to using moodle. It's hard to be useful on using moodle when using moodle is not useful. Until a proper solution is implemented you could tweak moodle.org course/lib.php

define('COURSE_MAX_RECENT_PERIOD', 172800);     // Two days, in seconds

to

define('COURSE_MAX_RECENT_PERIOD', 18000);     // Five hours, in seconds

to reduce load and yet give a reasonable range of recent on using moodle.

smile

Mary Cooch

Ten minutes ago I was getting the same result as Itamar (and I have a screenshot to prove it!!) Just now I am getting them in the correct order the same as Helen... Moodle magic or what?

EDIT.. and again when I went back to check my post was top of the list - it wasn't -the order was as Itamar first demonstrated - so not "correct". There seems to be something strange going on. 

Picture of Itamar Tzadok

Here is a sorting theory (it's actually somewhat supported by a brief examination of the code).

The sort goes by:

• Activity (by name asc; e.g. Moodle Contrib, Moodle Development, etc.)
  • User (by name asc; e.g. Itamar Tzadok, Mary Cooch, etc.)
  • Date as specified

So, a new post in an activity not previously in the list can change the order.

EDIT: just checking.

smile

Mary Cooch

Just checking toobig grin

Mary Cooch

It's back! Or am I imagining this too?

Picture of Helen Foster

As requested, I've re-added the recent activity block for now, though help with figuring out what's going on in the full report of recent activity would be much appreciated. wink

Picture of Itamar Tzadok

Thanks! I'll see what I can do about that. smile

Picture of Itamar Tzadok

Perhaps setting the recent activity block to fetch only today's posts (since last login) could be a reasonable way to keep it on using moodle and still improve performance. Or even adding a date selector to the block to select a date for posts (since last login). smile

Picture of Helen Foster

Apologies to all recent activity block fans for needing to remove it from the Using Moodle course page for performance reasons.

I've reported the problem of incorrect sorting on date for full report on recent activity as MDL-36872.

Picture of Martin Contreras

Hi everyone,

Can I configure this block? In my work, I need to show the last 5 activities whatever the date they were made.If I can´t configure it can change the code.

Thanks in advance

Regards from Perú

Martin

not cusack

That would be great! It should be an advanced setting in the course settings, like the recent events.

AFAIK, that's not currently possible, though, but I'd be very happy to be proven wrong! wide eyes