Students Cant' Reply to Q&A

Students Cant' Reply to Q&A

by Donald Perry -
Number of replies: 4

Used the Q&A function in 1.9 for students to answer extra credit questions. Students could not see other postings until posting themselves. I also used separate groups.

Over the summer, our district upgraded to 2.0+ and now I am having several issues. The latest is when I attempt to do a Q&A question as last year, the students do not have a "Post New Question" button.

Have found permissions and everything looks good except "add questions" is limited to teacher, manage, and non-editing teacher. Do I need to add students? Are there issues that I need to be aware of in 2.0+ vs 1.9?

Any other ideas to use a forum for an extra credit question?

Thanks...

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Donald Perry

Re: Students Cant' Reply to Q&A

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi there. If you take a look here http://docs.moodle.org/en/Capabilities/mod/forum:addquestion you will need to give them the capabilty of adding questions.

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Donald Perry -

I checked settings and it looks like they can post. When I look at forum as a teacher, I see the post new discussion button. However, when I look as a student, its states there are no postings/no permissions. Students see the same thing. See attached png files.

I used separate groups/Q&A for years with 1.9 with not issues. Now with 2.0 I am having issues.

Thanks for any help...

In reply to Donald Perry

by Ruben Fonseca -

Donald,

I believe that you would need to override the default permissions for students in the Q&A forum.  When you are in that forum you will see the settings block on the left (at least it is on my install).  Clicking the permissions link will show that students have not any permission to add questions.

At the top of that page you will see the section to override the permissions.  Select Student from the drop-down.  You can then select Allow for the add question function.  Save changes at the bottom of the page and login as student to verify that this is worked.

add q

When the Q&A forum changed (1.9->2.0) to remove the post a question button, the forum module then assumes that as the Teacher, you will be posting questions for the students to reply to with their answers.  So, it's all replies from the student point of view.

In reply to Ruben Fonseca

by Donald Perry -

First, thanks for the help...

Reset/added so student could add questions to forum, but when I go to student mode, still don't see post button. Is there an admin setup? Something I can't see? Thanks again...