Essay question feedback

Essay question feedback

ó $a->name - $a->date
Number of replies: 8

Can any help me with feedback on essay style questions in Moodle. We are using Moodle 2.3. I have a lesson all set up with an essay style questiona As the lecturer I have graded the question and clicked on the link e-mail graded essays assuming it would send the feedback to the student’s e-mail address but it doesn’t, the lesson itself also doesn’t hold any information on the grade given for the essay question.  How does the student receive the feedback?  

Any help at all would be appreciated.

Meán na gcomhlán: -
In reply to Karen Arksey

Re: Essay question feedback

ó $a->name - $a->date

I have a similar issue. Are there plans to develop a feedback facility for essay questions within the lesson itself?

Sue

In reply to Sue Barnes

ó $a->name - $a->date
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
In reply to Joseph Rézeau

ó $a->name - $a->date

@Joseph

Hi Joseph and thanks for your response

Yes, we had seen that and believe that would provide something of a solution. However, we were wanting to take this further in terms of integrating the feedback into the Lesson module so that the students could see a similar report to that which a grader sees via the Reports tab (See attached) with the feedback in the context of the lesson but not including all the navigation information perhaps.

Cheers

Sue

Attachment lesson feedback.GIF
In reply to Sue Barnes

ó $a->name - $a->date
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

@Sue,

Do you want some kind of feeback for ALL of the questions in a Lesson as opposed to only for the Essay questions, as provided by my block? Please specify what kind of information that my block is not providing that you would like to be provided to the student.

Joseph

ó $a->name - $a->date

Hi Joseph

Our main concern is where the feedback is accessed. The feedback that is provided for students from your block is fabulous but access to it is not from within the Lesson itself. i.e. If the student clicks on the Lesson link they cannot access the feedback. Also when setting up the lesson both the activity and the block needs to be added and this might not always be done. We have a very large user population so communicating that the block needs to be added to all users is not easy. Thus, although the block is a solution it does provide a barriers in terms of providing accessible feedback.

Our second concern is that the feedback for the essay questions are provided in the context of the lesson so that responses to all questions is provided in the same place. Ideally there would be a 'Review previous attempts' link in the lesson activity itself, on an introductory page perhaps, to a complete report of each attempt such as the non student user as currently sees from the reports tab or a modification of that.

Cheers

Sue

In reply to Sue Barnes

ó $a->name - $a->date

Hi Sue,

There cannot be access to my block from within the Lesson itself.

"We have a very large user population so communicating that the block needs to be added to all users is not easy."

By "population", do you mean teachers or students? I suppose "teachers".

If I understand you correctly, you are worried that the operation of adding the "Lesson essays feedback" block is a separate operation from creating a new instance of the Lesson activity? And that teachers creating new Lessons might overlook the creation of that block? Thanks to the suggestion made by Michael Hughes in this post, the solution is to add that block at the time of creating a Lesson that contains at least one Essay question. Then, the block will be visible to the students after they have completed an essay question. If more than one Lesson instance contain essays, it is not necessary to add the "Lesson essays feedback" to all of those lessons, only to one of them. I encourage you to make the - small - hack to my block as suggested by Michael Hughes and to experiment. I will certainly make the hack myself in future releases of my block.

"Ideally there would be a 'Review previous attempts' link in the lesson activity itself, on an introductory page perhaps, to a complete report of each attempt such as the non student user as currently sees from the reports tab or a modification of that."

Yes, same as the Quiz's "Review attempt" feature. That would be quite useful, but would mean a very important programing work and there are no plans for it at the moment.

Joseph

ó $a->name - $a->date

Hi Joseph

Thank you for your response. I believe that you have answered my original question 'Are there plans to develop a feedback facility for essay questions within the lesson itself?' and the answer is No. That in itself is useful to us in planning our approach to this issue. I have been in discussion with Michael Hughes in considering the options here. Michael and I work in the same team at the University of Strathclyde. MIchael wanted to be sure there was no planned develoipment withing the Lesson module before we went down the route of using your block and his sugestion of the hack to the block makes its use more useful to us.

Ultimately, I do feel that the best solution would be to have the previous attempts review within the Lesson module as with the Quiz but if that is not planned we will work with what there is.

Thank you for your time.

Sue

In reply to Karen Arksey

ó $a->name - $a->date

Karen "As the lecturer I have graded the question and clicked on the link e-mail graded essays assuming it would send the feedback to the student’s e-mail address but it doesn’t..."

Well, it should! Are you sure your moodle site is correctly set to send email messages to the students? Have you try with other modules than Lesson, e.g. quiz?

Joseph