Quizports visible to administrator and students, but not to teacher

Quizports visible to administrator and students, but not to teacher

by Gerald Grow -
Number of replies: 4

In my courses, teachers have pointed out that while students can see all the quizports on the front page, to teachers these appear grayed out. Is there a way teachers (most of them non-editing) can see quizports just as students would, so teachers can know at a glance which parts of the course are turned on and which are inactive?

Details: Moodle 1.9+, with a site that has been running well with quizzes built from Hot Potatoes and Quizport. I have Backup/Restore and Courselinks on the site as well. Default Moodle theme. No fancy stuff I can think of.

This problem might have existed before, but it was brought to my attention only today.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Gerald Grow

Re: Quizports visible to administrator and students, but not to teacher

by Gerald Grow -

This is embarassing. A while back, I edited the way Quizports display on the front page (to tighten the spacing and give them a dotted underline) and must have created this problem. Now I can't recall where I did that.

Any clues? What code affects the display of Quizport labels on the front page?

Thanks for any insights!

In reply to Gerald Grow

by Gordon Bateson -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Hi Gerald,
if you QuizPort version is less than 2008040121, than I think you can fix the display of QuizPorts to teachers on the course page by upgrading to the latest version of QuizPort (2008040136).

If you are already at QuizPort version 2008040136, then you could try altering the capabilities yourself:

• login as Moodle admin
  • Site administration -> Users -> Permissions -> Define roles
  • click "Teacher" link, then "Edit" button
  • verify that permissions are set as per the attached screenshot 
  • click "Save changes" button at the bottom of the page

regards
Gordon

Attachment quizport.permissions.png
In reply to Gordon Bateson

by Gerald Grow -

Thanks for replying, Gordon. I updated Quizport and confirmed the Role assignments, but the courses still show gray.

As a workaround, I set up a separate section and enrolled all the teachers in it in the student role, so they could see the course exactly as students do. I'm afraid to upgrade anything else right when students are enrolling.

In reply to Gerald Grow

by Gordon Bateson -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Hmm, am I right in thinking this course uses the "courselinks.js.php" script to display activity grades on the course page? I will send you the latest version of the script, as I think this may fix your issue.

regards
Gordon