is it possible to manually insert old version tables into existing clean 2.x install?

is it possible to manually insert old version tables into existing clean 2.x install?

by Billy Zwiener -
Number of replies: 2

I have 208 tables in my 1.9x install. Only about 100 of them have records in them. Is there any way I can manually get the data from each individual table (1.9x) and import it into a clean database built on a clean 2.x install? Basically I have very little data when compared to a lot of these other installs. I only have 300 some users with only about 80 that are currently active. I can hand re enroll every one of them quicker than trying to upgrade this 1.9x install for another 10 days and I HAVE TRIED ALREADY FOR 10 days to upgrade this thing. So the question is, is it possible to manually insert the records in the 100 so tables that I need into a clean 2.x  install and thus have a functioning 2.x install with the data I need? I don't care if it takes me 20 hours to manually insert the needed records as that would be WONDERFUL compared to my frustration and time already lost with failed upgrade attempts at this point. Thanks for any advice on what options I might have.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Billy Zwiener

Re: is it possible to manually insert old version tables into existing clean 2.x install?

by Guillermo Madero -

What specific 2.x version and subversion?

In reply to Billy Zwiener

Re: is it possible to manually insert old version tables into existing clean 2.x install?

by Steve H. -

I would think you could just backup the content and then restore to the new Moodle install. 

Never tried what you are talking about exactly though.

Moodle has lots of authentication options.

I would think you could setup the new Moodle install to validate against the old user database of usernames. Then you could just delete the data in the password field and either reset all their passwords using passwords you created and gave them. At that point you could even have them setup a new password. 

So at that point you should be smelling like a rose. Not sure how Moodle would handle the new users in the future. It would however be able to access the old usernames though.

Please note this is all theory. I have not actually tried doing this for anyone as of yet. I just have seen the various methods for authenticating.