Problems trying to grade essays in Lessons

Problems trying to grade essays in Lessons

by Celine Armenta -
Number of replies: 13

Lessons are my favorite module (activity)  in Moodle. Right now, my institution is using Moodle 2.3.

I built a lesson, 3 answers (3 "pages"); the third one is an essay. When I go to the "grading essays" function I get a message saying that there are NO essays in the lesson.

I am able to see my students' essays through the Inform funcion... but in teh statistics column It says: No student has answer this question

first

second

third

fourth

fifth

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Celine Armenta

Re: Problems trying to grade essays in Lessons

by Joseph Rézeau -
Core developers இன் படம் Particularly helpful Moodlers இன் படம் Plugin developers இன் படம் Testers இன் படம் Translators இன் படம்

@Celine (and Kathryn),

1.- If you move the mouse over the Report tab, what does it show? If you click, on the Report tab, what does it say? See attached screenshot which clearly shows a bug.

2.- In your Lesson settings, did you set it to be available to only one Grouping of your Moodle course?

Common module settings
Grouping
Available for group members only

Joseph

Attachment 11-09-2012 09-22-05.jpg
In reply to Joseph Rézeau

by Joseph Rézeau -
Core developers இன் படம் Particularly helpful Moodlers இன் படம் Plugin developers இன் படம் Testers இன் படம் Translators இன் படம்

by Kathryn Meyers -

When I put my cursor over reports, it says "View 20 completed attempts."   When I click on grade essays, it says "No essay questions found in this lesson," however, there are two!  When I click on reports, the screen shows:

If I click on the 0%..., I can see the entire lesson for that student, including their two essays, but there isn't any way I can grade them/leave comments there.

In reply to Kathryn Meyers

by Joseph Rézeau -

@Kathryn, please answer my question #2 :

2.- In your Lesson settings, did you set it to be available to only one Grouping of your Moodle course?

Joseph

by Kathryn Meyers -
Under common module settings I only have visible show/hide and an ID # field.

by Kathryn Meyers -

Joseph,

Can you tell me what else I could try since I don't seem to have the same options under common module settings as you stated?

by Joseph Rézeau -

Well, the problem is that the only bug I could detect with "grading essays not showing" in the Lesson activity in Moodle 2.3 is associated with "restricting Lesson access to a grouping of students". See my bug report MDL-35358.

If - like you - I do not use this conditional access feature, then I cannot reproduce the problem described in this discussion. If I cannot reproduce a problem then I obviously cannot find a solution.

Anyway, here are a few things you (and the original poster) could try out.

1. Let's call "the problem": "student essays not showing in grading tab" for teacher.
  2. In a test course on your moodle site, with at least one "test student", create a new lesson.
  3. Leave all that Lesson settings to default (very important).
  4. Create one or more essays and one or more MCQ questions.
  5. Log in as student and take that lesson, answering all questions on all pages and go to the very end of the Lesson (very important).
  6. Log in as teacher and go to that Lesson. What does it show if you click on Reports? If you click on Grade Essays?
  7. If you are still getting "the problem", then export your lesson and post it here. To export a lesson, go to your course, do a backup including ONLY that Lesson, no student data, nothing else, and attach the backup file to your next post. So I can examine your lesson on my own moodle test site and possibly find what's wrong.

Joseph

by Kathryn Meyers -

Joseph,

Here's the back up file as requested.  Thank you so much for any guidance you can give me as to why I can't access the essays in a lesson.

Kathryn Meyers

by Joseph Rézeau -

Kathryn,

Thanks for attaching your "test lesson". As expected it works fine on both my 2.2 and 2.3 moodle test sites. When the Lesson has been taken by students, their Essay questions do appear when I log in as teacher and I can view and grade them. So there is nothing wrong with your Lesson settings.

Did you try creating a brand-new lesson on a test course on your site as I suggested in my previous post? Did it work or not?

Joseph

by Donna Davey -

Joseph,

Thanks for working with Ms. Meyer’s. I think that our problem is a server setting but I do not know where to look.  Are you aware of a plugin that needs to be enabled or something that needs to be activated?  I was able to do as you did and restored this to a different Moodle account that I have and found no problems but when in Ms. Meyer’s Moodle, you can not grade.  Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.