This is an ex-parrot...

This is an ex-parrot...

by Markus Översti -
Number of replies: 18

When I try to add Hot-potato quiz and press choose or upload file, I get a browser window, which says:

This is an ex-parrot. It is a stiff, bereft of life, it rests in peace. If you hadn't opened it up just now it would be pushing up the daisies!

It is in /mod/resource/coursefiles.php-file.

What on earth is wrong?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Markus Översti

Re: This is an ex-parrot...

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
It's an old defunct script - we moved to a more centralised file script and all those old ones have been retained only for security.  The contents are my sense of humour - I have reams of Monty Python embedded in my head from my teen years (sorry about the confusion - I never expected anyone would find it accidentally).

Why is hotpot calling that script?  I have no idea.  It doesn't make sense and is quite non-standard ... I hope the new version of hotpot isn't doing this ...
In reply to Martin Dougiamas

by Art Lader -

That is  a favorite scene for my German students to rewrite and act out... I love it!

-- Art

by Markus Översti -
With version 1.4.3 (I think) Hot Potatoe worked fine, but when I upgraded to 1.4.4 it stopped working. (I mean 20 december version for moodle 1.4)

How I could (or someone else smile ) fix module to work with moodle 1.4.4?

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Try replacing the contents of that coursefiles.php file with this (untested):

<?php

include ('../../config.php');
  redirect ($CFG->wwwroot.'/files/index.php?choose=form.reference&id='.$id);

?> 

by Dale Jones -
hmmm. I'm seeing a Scandinavian theme here...norwegianblue.php anyone?
In reply to Dale Jones

by Martin Dougiamas -
Finland, Finland, Finland.
The country where I want to be,
Pony trekking or camping,
Or just watching TV.
Finland, Finland, Finland,
It's the country for me.

You're so near to Russia,
So far from Japan.
Quite a long way from Cairo,
Lots of miles from Vietnam.

Finland, Finland, Finland.
The country where I want to be,
Eating breakfast or dinner,
Or snack lunch in the hall.
Finland, Finland, Finland,
Finland has it all.

You're so sadly neglected,
And often ignored,
A poor second to Belgium,
When going abroad.

by Darren Smith -
 Now stop that! It's Silly.

It's not even a proper thread.....

I mean nobody enjoys a joke more than I do......apart from my wife...oh,
and Martin Dougiamas .....well, come to think of it, most people enjoy a
joke more than I do but that's not the point.......
In reply to Darren Smith

by Dale Jones -
About that Scandinavian thing:

<adorns horned helmet>
spam spam spam spam
spam spam spam spam
wonderful spaaaaam.....
wonderful spaaaaam.....

</adorns helmet>

I wonder if this'll get special dispensation to get through your filters, since it's where it all started anyway...

In reply to Dale Jones

by Tony Hursh -
Mate, that theme wouldn't validate if you put four million volts through it! It's bleedin' demised!

by Gordon Bateson -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Hi Markus,

the current standard version of the HotPot module relies on the resource module having a particular script called "coursefiles.php", but from Moodle 1.4.2 the "Choose" functionality was moved to a different script, "moodle/files/index.php" to be precise and the "coursefiles.php" page was replaced with the parrot page.

There are two different ways to resolve this problem.

1. keep the current version of the hotpot module and replace the "mod/resource/coursefiles.php" script with one from a previous version of Moodle
  2. download and install version 2 of the hotpot module (http://bateson.kanazawa-gu.ac.jp/moodle/mod/resource/view.php?id=168). Be aware that this software is in a beta stage, so you should be sure to backup the following two tables before you attempt the install:
    • hotpot
    • hotpot_events

Probably, the first method way is safest for a "live" site with many hotpot activities. If you try the second method and have problems please restore the two hotpot tables, and then post any error messages on this forum.

regards
Gordon

In reply to Gordon Bateson

by Markus Översti -
I tried Gordons trick number 2 and it didn't work. When I log as an admin, I get message: hotpot module needs upgrading. Then moodle upgrades mdl_hotpot tables and gives no errormessages. But I can not get to any other page.

So tables are not upgraded and I can not use newer version of hotpot module.

by Gordon Bateson -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Hi Markus,
thanks for the feedback on updating to the new HotPot module.

When you say "I can not get to any other page", do you mean that no other Moodle pages work? The admin page, the site page, the course pages, the settings page for the each hotpot quiz, none of them work?

What is your situation now? Have you restored the HotPot tables, and version one of the HotPot module, or are you looking for a way forward with HotPot v2?

regards
Gordon

In reply to Gordon Bateson

by Markus Översti -

screenshotWhen I upgrade to hotpot module ver 2 and log in as an admin-user, all I can get from my moodle installation is that upgrading tables page.

I can not even log out from admin account (moodle won't show logout links).

Normal users and without logging in I can use moodle normally.

(I did not need to restore backups from hotpot tables, I just reinstalled hotpot module for 1.4.1)

by Gordon Bateson -

Hi Markus,
from the screen shot that you sent, I can see that you have tried to update to "HotPot v2" several times with only limited success (Valmis!). I think the update is getting stuck somewhere and does not complete, leaving no way out for the administrator.

From the screenshot alone, I cannot tell why the update did not complete, but I have made some alterations to the update script so that it is better able to handle situations where the update has been partially successful on a previous occasion (i.e. the situation you appear to be in).

I put the amended update script into the download for the hotpot module, which you can get from here:
http://bateson.kanazawa-gu.ac.jp/moodle/mod/resource/view.php?id=168

If you have time, please try the update again, and let us know how you get on.

many thanks in advance
Gordon