MooTyper the typing instructor

Re: Ri: Re: MooTyper the typing instructor

by AL Rachels -
Number of replies: 5
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi Stefano,

Thanks for your interest in and questions regarding MooTyper.

Item 1: If you mean that you would like for MooTyper to automatically reset a lesson so the student starts from the beginning of the first exercise upon re-entry, then NO MooTyper does not have that capability  right now, as, a. it had never occurred to me to implement it, b. no one ever asked me to implement the capability. However, effectively there is no limit to the number of exercises a teacher can add to a lesson. So, if a teacher wants to, they can keep adding exercises to a lesson, so that you get the same effect without having to modify the code at all. An easy way to implement this would be to do something such as add each of the Aesop Fables as an exercise into one long lesson. Check Project Gutenberg for other suggestions and copyright requirements. Since every Project Gutenberg book I've downloaded to read, and that's a bunch, is available in, Plain Text UTF-8, a large part of all the work is done.

Item 2: You are correct that currently, MooTyper does not integrate with Moodle's gradebook. Eventually, I hope to make it so, but have other priorities, at the moment.

"If the above is correct, is there any particular reason why that is the case, other than you obviously not having the time to implement everything and/or right away?" - 3 main reasons. For the past two and half years, my son and especially my wife, have had extreme health issues which has limited the amount of time available to me for code work. The PHP language was invented just about the time I finished my BS and MS degrees, and I still struggle with it. I hate to admit how much of the past seven weeks I have spent trying to get an audio file to record and then playback for a MooTyper dictation exercise capability. The other reason is that, no one has asked for it. 😁

In reply to AL Rachels

Ri: Re: Ri: Re: MooTyper the typing instructor

by Stefano De Carlo -
Hello AL,

thanks for taking the time to reply. I'm sorry to hear about your family and I sincerely hope everything will work out just fine eventually, as soon as possible. My gratitudine for putting MooTyper out in the open in spite of the hurdles is even stronger.

Item 1: exactly right - upon re-entry, the student would be presented automatically with a reset lesson.
Item 2: ok, thanks for clarifying that bit.

If I may, I would ask you to please consider adding item 1 on the TODO list for this project. I think it would be really handy for the user to just have a never-ending ready-to-go practice item that just keeps on giving without particular workarounds.

As a workaround for item 1, I was considering adding a MooTyper activity with a single exercise and some impossible to achieve WPM/time-limit target, so that effectively the user won't be able to complete that activity and it would force a retry immediately following a completion. Of course grades would just show as failed but the user won't have to manually delete them to continue with the activity. What do you think of this approach?

As an aside, I would like to contribute the Italian translation for Mootyper some time in the next few weeks (I'm still refining it). Would you accept it? If that's the case, do i just send you a pull request on github or do you prefer some other way?

Thanks again and have a good one.

P.S. Where do you think it's a more appropriate setting for a feature idea/request? This Moodle forum or github issues?
In reply to Stefano De Carlo

Re: Ri: Re: Ri: Re: MooTyper the typing instructor

by AL Rachels -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi Stefano,

Item 1: I will see about what I can do in regards to automatically resetting a lesson and will add it to my TODO list.

Item 2: Grade integration to Moodle is already on my TODO list.

Yes, your proposed work around of using a very high WPM rate will work.

Translations do not need to be sent directly to me. You can go to the translation link up at the top right corner of this page, sign in and add translations yourself. I just looked and there does not seem to be any Italian(it) entries for MooTyper at all, just yet, so they would be more than welcome. (missing 252 out of 252) If you feel that you cannot add the translations, then you can send them to me and I will add them. The good thing about adding translations on Moodle, is you can do just a few at time as time permits. There is no requirement to try and submit a complete set of translated items all at one time.

Feature requests can be added here or on github. I will get them in either place. I imagine more people will see forum entries than they would github ones.

You can also put feature requests on the demo site at http://m3x.drachels.com/course/view.php?id=4 NOTE: While the course allows guest access, you need to create an account to post a feature request or make a suggestion.

In reply to AL Rachels

Grades

by LABSfor Learning and Business Solutions for -

Hi is it possible trace grades about Mootyper exams? How I know if students passed or not the exam?

In reply to LABSfor Learning and Business Solutions for

Re: Grades

by AL Rachels -
Hi LABS,
Currently, MooTyper does not link to, or use, the Moodle grade system, so a teacher, manager, or admin can check on passing an exam by going into the activity and click on View all grades. If you want the MooTyper exam grade included in Moodle, setup an assignment as an, Offline Activity, and enter the exam grades into it.
As mentioned above, Grade integration into Moodle is on my TODO list, but, sadly, major family medical problems and a death, over the past two plus years have put me way behind.