MooTyper the typing instructor

Re: MooTyper the typing instructor

by Marina González -
Number of replies: 8
Hello! first of all, thank you for the plugin, I love it!
I have a problem, well, I installed the 3.6.1 version, but I can't use the exam function, since it always choses lesson, no matter how many times i pick the other ones. Could it be that I am using moodle 3.7+? are you thinking about making a working version for 3.7? =) thanks a lot.
Another question, I'd like to know how to access the translations, because spanish version is like half translated. And if you want a hand, you have 2 from me! Ill give you all translations you want!
Thanx a lot!
In reply to Marina González

by AL Rachels -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi Marina,

Sorry to see that you are having problems getting MooTyper to work in exam mode. It is bedtime here so I will try to verify this tomorrow. The fact that you are using Moodle 3.7 should not matter, as that is what I am using. It's just that I can't remember if I have verified exam mode on 3.7.

In reply to AL Rachels

by Matthias Giger -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

Dear AL

I can confirm the problem for Moodle 3.7.2: As soon as you set up a new MooTyper activity and then try to choose "Exam" or "Practice" the page reloads and you are back at the "Lesson" setting. As Moodle doesn't report a PHP error, there might be something going on with the JavaScript part.

Maybe these two reports from the JavaScript console will help:

Mootyper error 1

Mootyper error 2

by AL Rachels -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

@Marina and @Matthias,

Thanks for your notification of this error. I can confirm it on my setup. Until I can come up with a fix, I do have a temporary work around if you have admin access on your site. If you are admin go to the MooTyper plugin settings at Site administration > Plugins > Activity modules > MooTyper. In the Options section, change the default Mode to Exam. Go to your course and set up your MooTyper Exam. Go back and set the MooTyper Mode to Lesson or Practice, as desired.

Sorry for the inconvenience. I will try and have a fix release as soon as I can.

In reply to AL Rachels

by AL Rachels -
NOTE: Another temporary fix if you have access to the Moodle files. Open mod_setup.php. Delete or comment out lines 79 thru 87. Then make sure MooTyper setup works as you want it to. Actually, 87 is the only line that HAS to be eliminated.

79 // Check to see if current MooTyper isexam (mode) is empty.
80 //if ($mootyper->isexam == null || is_null($mootyper->isexam)) {
81 // Current MooTyper isexam is empty so set it to the site default.
82 // $dfisexam = $moocfg->isexam;
83 //} else {
84 // Otherwise use current MooTyper isexam.
85 // $dfisexam = $mootyper->isexam;
86 //}
87 //$modepo = optional_param('isexam', $dfisexam, PARAM_INT); // Display with default or current setting.

These lines of code are for a future enhancement and are not needed by this version of MooTyper. At the time, I just plain forgot about them and left them in. My only excuse was that this was during a very bad time health wise for my wife, and I just did not have the time needed to fully test this version when trying to verify that it would work with Moodle 3.7. NOTE: My wife is much better now and is in complete remission.
In reply to AL Rachels

by Marina González -
Could you tell me where exactly I can find mod_setup.php? I never can find anything. I am using c-panel, should I look in filezilla or something like that? because I have been looking for it but...

by AL Rachels -
You will need to look in your Moodle sever files. e.g.
/yourmoodle/mod/mootyper/mod_setup.php
In reply to AL Rachels

by Marina González -
Thank you for the very fast reply, I allready tried that before texting here. It didn't work.

by AL Rachels -

Sorry to take so long in getting a release candidate ready as I have had a lot going on lately, that slowed down my hobby work. big grin

If anyone is in a hurry, they can go here: https://github.com/drachels/moodle-mod_mootyper/tree/MOODLE_370_STABLE where you can get the version I am getting ready to release, that fixes the mode problem. It has a number of other changes, too. The most visible one is the status bar is now full width to accommodate long foreign language labels. It still might not be until tomorrow before I release the new version on Moodle as I have so many versions of Moodle to test it on.