MooTyper the typing instructor

Re: MooTyper the typing instructor

by Davidalen Fountain -
Number of replies: 5

We use MooTyper as a Candidate Screening Tool and have noticed that the WPM doesn't calculate for some of them. Two of which I would assume its an issue with the fact that it took them 10min to type 203 words. But the others are pretty close in time about 1-2 min difference.

Grant Johnson was actually done by me and it seems when I type usually the fastest one there it calculates my score but not others. Is this normal for the plugin? What is used to calculate the score? If you take 203 and divide it by the 3min 8 seconds it comes out to about 65WPM at 97% accuracy so not sure how 41.5 was achieved in the overall score.

The 5 min typing test you can take at typing centers I scored 57WPM (so far has been consistent over the last 5 years I've taken them 57-60)

Attachment mootype.PNG
In reply to Davidalen Fountain

by AL Rachels -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi Davidalen,

Even before I took over maintaining MooTyper, I didn't really care for the way MooTyper calculated WPM results. The only change I have made to it in the past two years, is to limit the WPM to zero or positive results. It used to be set so that if you made too many mistakes you would see a negative WPM score, which is meaningless. So, those zero scores you see are a result of making so many mistakes, that when the penalty is applied, it would have resulted in a negative WPM, and a zero is being shown, instead.

I have been investigating the possibility of including both a Gross WPM and Corrected WPM, but other things and priorities have kept me from getting it done. I will see what I can come up with for the next release, but right now I am concentrating on trying to get GDPR code for MooTyper to work.

If are interested, tell me which version of MooTYper you are currently using, and I can tell you how to change it so that you are seeing Gross WPM instead of Corrected.

In reply to AL Rachels

by Davidalen Fountain -

That would be great. The hiring managers here didn't like me telling them to export the CSV and use excel to calculate that number sad ha

Thanks a billion again. and Thank you for keeping up this plugin. Its been working great and does exactly what we need for pre hire skills testing.

3.4.2 (Build: 2017120402)

Would the current records reflect the change to GWPM?

In reply to Davidalen Fountain

by AL Rachels -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi Davidalen,

Unfortunately , changing the code now, will not be reflected in current, completed records. When a student hits the, Continue, button the data being shown in the status bar is stored, "as is", in the mdl_mootyper_grades table.

In MooTyper 3.4.2, if you go into the, typer.js file, down to line 60, and change it from this:

var wpm = (speed / 5) - mistakes;

So that it looks like this:

var wpm = (speed / 5);

That will give you a Gross WPM with each new exercise a student completes and place it in the grades table. Unfortunately, it probably will not take long for students to realize they can "game" the program by trying to bang keys as fast as possible without any regard to trying to be correct, thus giving themseleves an inflated WPM.

I will definitely see about having both WPM versions in future releases.

In reply to AL Rachels

by Davidalen Fountain -

I would assume tapping ! many times would increase the mistakes column though? If not its not a huge deal this is usually one-off testing and I'm pretty sure they are proctored (via video)

In reply to AL Rachels

by AL Rachels -

Just released a new MooTyper 3.5.1 version that shows both gross (GWPM) and net (NWPM) under a single label of WPM. Gross is on the left and net is on the right, of the separator bar. Only the net  value gets saved in the database when you click, Continue. (If you really need to know the gross later, just divide, hits per minute by 5.)

Also, due to numerous requests, this version includes a new, Practice, mode. Set it up like you would Lesson or Exam. Once set and saved, it cannot be changed. As a reminder, the word, Practice, gets added to the exercise name, just above the status bar, and just above the grade table when visiting, View my grades. Once a student has saved their results by clicking the Continue button, they can visit, View my grades, and remove any grade they see, but the next exercise offered will be the one after the last exercise grade posted. In other words, if a student has completed four out of ten exercises in a lesson, and they remove the results for exercise number two, they will be given exercise five, next. If they really want to retype exercise two, then they have to remove three and four also.