Why has the "Using Moodle" course disappeared from "My courses"?

Why has the "Using Moodle" course disappeared from "My courses"?

by Joseph Rézeau -
Number of replies: 13
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Just noticed this today. I am enroled in the following Moodle "courses" on moodle.org:

• Facilitators Corner
  • Lounge
  • Moodle en français
  • Using Moodle

But, starting today, the "Using Moodle" course has disappeared from the dropdown list of "My courses". And it seems that now Using Moodle is under Community Discussion (in English). I find this change rather confusing.

Any explanation?

Joseph

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Joseph Rézeau

Re: Why has the "Using Moodle" course disappeared from "My courses"?

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi Joseph,

Apologies for the unexpected consequences of some enrolment clean-up work that we're currently doing on moodle.org. It seems that some users have been unenrolled from Using Moodle and need to re-enrol. Have you not received a prompt to re-enrol yourself?

In reply to Helen Foster

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Thanks for the explanation, Helen. I have re-enrolled myself.

@Howard and Mary: I expect all the "Particularly Helpful Moodlers" have been un-enrolled, to test out their reactivity.tongueout

Joseph

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

So do we get extra points then for spotting it quickly?smile

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Joseph Rézeau -

Mary "So do we get extra points then for spotting it quickly?"

Nope, only the original poster of this thread (i.e. Joseph) gets those extra points.tongueout

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Oh no you don't......

I sent Helen an email exactly 20 minutes before your posting - I get them!!!!

big grin big grin big grin

In reply to Helen Foster

by Nicolas Martignoni -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi Helen,

I didn't received a prompt to re-enrol and so was a bit surprised of this.

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

They threw me out too Joseph!!

Don't they know who I am?? tongueout

In reply to Howard Miller

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

I got thrown out too and  for a while I seriously debated whether to bother re-enrolling or notbig grinbig grin

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Howard Miller -

I'm guessing somebody picked the wrong field and threw out everybody who had first enrolled years and years ago rather than everybody who has not used the site for years and years.....

I know this because I've done it myself big grin

In reply to Howard Miller

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Update: We're working on restoring the enrolment data. Apologies for the confusion and thanks to everyone for your sense of humour! smile

In reply to Helen Foster

by Nicolas Martignoni -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Got throw out too (and then re-enrolled myself), but thought it was my fault. Am I self-paranoid? big grin

In reply to Nicolas Martignoni

by Helen Foster -

Another update: Everyone who was accidentally unenrolled is now re-enrolled. Apologies again for the mix-up.

When moodle.org was upgraded to 2.0, the enrolment method of all users was set to manual, rather than self-enrolment, resulting in users being listed as course participants forever, unlike users who self-enrolled since the upgrade, who are unenrolled after 2 months inactivity. Thus, the number of participants in Using Moodle is over 8000, when it should be closer to 4000, causing a big load on the server when forum post notifications are sent.

I was trying to run a script to convert manual to self enrolment in just one course, but obviously it went totally wrong blush so back to the drawing board with the fix and I promise to make sure that it's tested more thoroughly next time!

PS Howard receives the prize for being the first to inform me - very helpful, since I was also thrown out of Using Moodle, so didn't receive any notification of Joseph's post!

In reply to Helen Foster

by Joseph Rézeau -

Helen "Howard receives the prize for being the first to inform me - very helpful, since I was also thrown out of Using Moodle, so didn't receive any notification of Joseph's post!"

Oh well, you can't win every day. I graciously acknowledge that Howard was the "early bird".Yes

Joseph