does assignment 2.3 send e-mail notifications to students when they receive feedback?

This forum post has been removed

Number of replies: 27
The content of this forum post has been removed and can no longer be accessed.
In reply to Deleted user

Re: does assignment 2.3 send e-mail notifications to students when they receive feedback?

by Rick Jerz -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

I am quite sure that it does.  Just this week, one of my students forwarded me the message that she got when I graded her assignment.  I told her that it was just Moodle letting her know that I had graded the item.

Here's some of our conversation:

Jean,
Everything was fine.  This was just Moodle's way of letting you know that I awarded you some point for your assignment.
Dr. Jerz
At 11:49 AM 8/16/2012, you wrote:
Hi Dr. Jerz:
Was my pic I submitted unable to open up? Let me know and I will try another. Thanks you.
Jean
On Wed, Aug 15, 2012 at 10:38 PM, Rick Jerz <Rick@rjerz.com> wrote:
MBA670-F12-A -> Assignment -> Please upload a photo
Rick Jerz has posted some feedback on your assignment submission for 'Please upload a photo'
You can see it appended to your assignment submission.
Rick Jerz
In reply to Rick Jerz

In reply to Deleted user

Re: does assignment 2.3 send e-mail notifications to students when they receive feedback?

by Damyon Wiese -

Yes Matt, they definitely do and the messages are sent by cron. Students can control how they receive these messages through their messaging preferences in their profile.

Regards, Damyon

In reply to Damyon Wiese

In reply to Deleted user

by Rick Jerz -

I too thought it would be staring me in the face, but I am not sure.  Here is how I have my feedback settings in the assignment, which might work.  But it might be a setting back at the Moodle administration level.

In reply to Rick Jerz

In reply to Deleted user

by Derek Chirnside -

In the grading screen I see this:

Moodle 2.3.1 I believe

-Derek

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Derek Chirnside

In reply to Deleted user

by Rick Jerz -

Here is maybe one more place to try.  You can see how my Moodle setting is set.  I would look around

Site administration/ ► Plugins/ ► Assignment plugins

Assignments

In reply to Rick Jerz

In reply to Deleted user

by Rick Jerz -

My settings match yours.  I might be running out of ideas. Hopefully, others will come up with more.

I am busy teaching courses right now, but some day, maybe I can try this feature on a cleanly installed Moodle 2.3.

by Sam Mudle -

The problem with Moodle 2.3.1 is that the quick grade feature used to have a check at the bottom to email students notifications.  This has been removed so the only way to do it is by grading the non-quick method.  You'll see the bottom checkbox then.

The other annoying thing about Moodle 2.3.1 is that when you create an assignment, you have to change FEEDBACK from NO to YES every dang time.  I always want assignment grading to have a feedback box... looking for the setting to change this default...

In reply to Sam Mudle

by Rick Jerz -

I realized that I never gave you a graphic of my assignment settings (see below).  I am using quick grading, but I still click on the "Save all quick..."

I don't know if this will help.

quickgrade

In reply to Rick Jerz

In reply to Sam Mudle

by Damyon Wiese -

Hi Matt,

You can change this default here:

/admin/settings.php?section=assignfeedback_comments

Regards, Damyon

In reply to Damyon Wiese

by Sam Mudle -

Yeah, but where did the email notifications for graded assignments go?

So it looks like students can only get email notifications when they upload their assignments?  That really doesn't make sense. 

In reply to Damyon Wiese

In reply to Deleted user

by Graham Bowman -

The option is now available to the student rather than the teacher. Student can switch on or off the notification in My Profile Settings > Messaging as detailed here

by Garry Edmonds -

We have been running 2.3 for a while now and I don't see the 'Send notifications' checkbox on the grading screen, although it is still there for the old 2.2 assignment types.

Emails are being sent to students when feedback is entered, although it's possible that there are some fails, but I have not come across one yet. We have staff that would like to hide the grade and prevent students from being sent an email until later, but even when the grade is hidden the students are still sent an email and there does not seem to be a way to turn it off, well not individually anyway. Does anyone know how to do that?

In reply to Garry Edmonds

by ben reynolds -

Hi Garry,

What I've gleaned from above is that

1. Students can control Assignment notifications via Settings > My profile > Messaging.
  2. The default settings are Email turned on.
  3. "Notifications" now includes both confirmation of a student uploaded file and  that the assignment has been graded.
  4. Site Admin can "force" the settings to be on and out of students' control. http://docs.moodle.org/24/en/Messaging_settings
In reply to ben reynolds

by Garry Edmonds -

Hi Ben,

Thanks. That confirms what I thought as well. It seems what has gone is the ability for teachers to control if grade emails are sent.

2.6.8 - Assignments - when are the notifications sent to students?

by Fernanda F. Ricou -

We would like notifications/Mails sent to our Students from Assignments everytime:

1 -  Teachers add comments;

2 -  Teachers grade it or change the grade

It looks like Mails are sent out on the first grading (Mail Subject=Mr. X has given feedback for assignment Y).

I´think I have all settings right - and the "Notify students=yes"

How are notifications suppose to work?

What else should I do?

TY!

In reply to Deleted user

by João Filipe Oliveira -

Something is not working at all! Sent 15 messages from a forum with two moodle users, trying with different smtp servers / authentication (SSL, TLS, none). Some messages are sent to one user (but not the other), some are sent to the other, some to both, some to none. How can it be? Seems to me it is not a SMTP issue, not a cron issue, but can't figure out what it is.

On the other hand, in the same server I am hosting Joomla 1.5 and messages are sent to every user, without delay.

In reply to Deleted user

Moodle 2.3 sending email notification to students I did not grade

by Deb LaQua -

I am working in 2.3, and am using Quick Grading. When I grade an assignment for 2 of my 40 students, provide feedback in the feedback text area, and then click the 'save quick grades', an email is generated telling the student that I have 'posted some feedback on your assignment for 'assignment name', with a link to the assignment. This email is also being generated for students who have not yet submitted an assignment, however, or whose assignment I did not grade nor did I supply feedback.

Any idea what's going on? I'd love to be able to automatically generate an email to only those students for whom I have actually added a grade and/or feedback during that session - not other students who haven't been graded (but whose names are still in the list of students when that Quick Grading page is open). Can I do that with Quick Grading?

Thanks,

Deb

Attachment feedback email.png
In reply to Deb LaQua

Re: Moodle 2.3 sending email notification to students I did not grade

by Sharon Gray -

Hi, Deb.

I'm wondering if you've figured this one out, as I've run into the same problem: Students who have NOT yet submitted an assignment and for whom I'm NOT providing feedback, get an email message informing them that I've given feedback, when I simply provided feedback to ANOTHER student. 

It's as if somehow Moodle is sending messages to ALL students in the gradebook that there has been some change regarding grading of the assignment, even if that change was only that I graded and provided feedback for one student (as it was in this case.)

Sharon

In reply to Sharon Gray

Re: Moodle 2.3 sending email notification to students I did not grade

by Graham Bowman -

Are you using quick gr.Are you using quick grading? If so there was a problem where it would record a grade for every student rather than just the ones you have changed. It's been fixed in an update.