Displaying HTML Content

Displaying HTML Content

by Lionel Redelinghuys -
Number of replies: 9

Dear fellow Moodlers

I am looking for a way in which I can display pre-compiled HTML content withing the course area of moodle.

The content I have is in HTML frames layout and in agreement with the authors of the content, it needs to be protected behind a username and password.

I can load the content on a web server but the I won't be able to track activity and neither will it be "public-safe".

Does anyone know of a way to do this or a tool I can use to convert the content to a moodle-compatible format such as SCORM, AICC or IMS?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Lionel Redelinghuys

Re: Displaying HTML Content

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Can you not just put it in a Label on the course page?  Would logging into the Moodle site suffice for the username and password requirement?

In reply to Emma Richardson

by Lionel Redelinghuys -

Hi Emma

The contect is multi-paged HTML content with navigation etc. The ideal would be to rely on Moodle's authentication system though hosting the learning content separately and merely "linking" to it would not do since the courseware would then have a publicly accessible URL without any protection.

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

I agree with Mary - it would make more sense to upload the content into Moodle and then you would not have an external url that is accessible without login.  Then you could link to it either from the file resource or embed the html directly in the label.

If the content is stored externally, you would need to have an external authentication method.  Not sure is there is any api with your external content server but you could set up as an external resource maybe?  I am just starting to play with that and imagine that there are others out there that could help you more with external services.

In reply to Emma Richardson

by Lionel Redelinghuys -

What you have just said is exactly the way I have it now, but I need a way to track progress and having a separate method of authentication is not an option.

See www.corporatetrainingmaterials.com for an example of the courseware.

by Scott Karren -

Lionel

A question first; are you saying that you need to be able to track progress through each page or frame of the pre-compiled content?

Having used this vendor in the past I know that they have an html directory in their downloaded content which contains all of the html files, images, etc.  To make this viewable within a course, I would zip the html directory up, upload it as a file resource, unzip the directory within Moodle, then set the index.html file as the main file.

Set the file resource to open in a popup window (you may have to play with the height and width to remove scroll bars) and save it.  What you will end up with is a single resource that when accessed will open the index.html file and allow you to navigate through all the content.

As far as tracking, you can set the activity completion but that will only track whether or not a person opened the resource and not that they navigated through all the content.

HTH

Scott

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Scott Karren

by Lionel Redelinghuys -

Hi Scott

You understood correctly. Though, if Ill only be able to track conpletion then that will be fine too. I am definitely going to give your method a try. Thank you very much!

by Lionel Redelinghuys -

Hi guys

A million thanks for this. It worked exactly as I want it to.

I have one issue though. For some reason, once the archive is extracted the management functions for the content becomes very slow to completely non-responsive.

The content itself responds 100% well. It is only when I want to edit the settings for the content when the whole apache server hangs up.

Has anyone had this problem? Where shall I start looking for a fix?