Gradebook

Mark
Update button overrides all cells in gradebook page

We are using Moodle 2.3.1 and have noticed that if we turn editing on within the Grades Book we can edit each cell as usual including being able to turn the cell override on or off.

That said if we click the "Update" button at the bottom all cells on that page become overridden... that is all cells on the page turn to the pink override colour.

We are slowly turning off the override on each cell but with 100 users and 15 columns this is going to take a while ... is there a better way?

All help welcome.

Picture of Bob Puffer
Re: Update button overrides all cells in gradebook page
Group Particularly helpful Moodlers

I have an instance of 2.3.1 (20120706) that does not display this behavior.

Mark

Thanks Bob... good to know.

Picture of Debbie Unterseher

What are your grader report settings set to?  These are mine.  Mine is doing the same.  Choose ONE grade to over-ride, and click update, and EVERYTHING (not just that person or that particular grade item) changes to overridden.  Now do we really have to go one by one and turn off everything?  Bob, back in 2009 you did a zip file to turn off the overridden flags.  Wonder if this would work. http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=134852

Thanks for any feedback.

Grader report

Students per pagegrade_report_studentsperpage
Default: 100

This setting determines the number of students displayed per page in the grader report.

Quick gradinggrade_report_quickgrading
Default: Yes

If enabled, when editing is turned on, a text input box appears for each grade, allowing many grades to be edited at the same time. Changes are saved and highlighted when the update button is clicked.

Note that when a grade is edited in the grader report, an overridden flag is set, meaning that the grade can no longer be changed from within the related activity.

Quick feedbackgrade_report_showquickfeedback
Default: No

If enabled, when editing is turned on, a feedback text input box with a dotted border appears for each grade, allowing the feedback for many grades to be edited at the same time. Changes are saved and highlighted when the update button is clicked.

Note that when feedback is edited in the grader report, an overridden flag is set, meaning that the feedback can no longer be changed from within the related activity.

Static students columngrade_report_fixedstudents

Allows grades to scroll horizontally without losing sight of the students column, by making it static.

Grades selected for column averagesgrade_report_meanselection
All gradesNon-empty grades
Default: Non-empty grades

This setting determines whether cells with no grade should be included when calculating the average (mean) for each category or grade item.

Enable AJAXgrade_report_enableajax

Adds a layer of AJAX functionality to the grader report, simplifying and speeding up common operations. Depends on Javascript being switched on at the user's browser level.

Show calculationsgrade_report_showcalculations

If enabled, when editing is turned on, a calculator icon is shown for each grade item and category, with tool tips over calculated items and a visual indicator that a column is calculated.

Show show/hide iconsgrade_report_showeyecons

If enabled, when editing is turned on, a show/hide icon is shown for each grade for controlling its visibility to the student.

Show column averagesgrade_report_showaverages

If enabled, the grader report will contain an additional row displaying the average (mean) for each category and grade item.

Show locksgrade_report_showlocks

If enabled, when editing is turned on, a lock/unlock icon is shown for each grade for controlling whether the grade can be automatically updated by the related activity.

Show rangesgrade_report_showranges

If enabled, the grader report will contain an additional row displaying the range for each category and grade item.

Show grade analysis icongrade_report_showanalysisicon

Whether to show grade analysis icon by default. If the activity module supports it, the grade analysis icon links to a page with more detailed explanation of the grade and how it was obtained.

Show user profile imagesgrade_report_showuserimage

Whether to show the user's profile image next to the name in the grader report.

Show activity iconsgrade_report_showactivityicons

If enabled, activity icons are shown next to activity names.

Show number of grades in averagesgrade_report_shownumberofgrades

If enabled, the number of grades used when calculating the average (mean) is displayed in brackets after each average.

Column averages display typegrade_report_averagesdisplaytype
InheritRealPercentageLetter
Default: Inherit

This setting determines whether the average (mean) is displayed as real grades, percentages or letters, or whether the display type for the category or grade item is used (inherit).

Range display typegrade_report_rangesdisplaytype
InheritRealPercentageLetter

This setting determines whether the range is displayed as real grades, percentages or letters, or whether the display type for the category or grade item is used (inherit).

Decimals in column averagesgrade_report_averagesdecimalpoints
Inherit012345

This setting determines the number of decimal points to display for each average or whether the overall decimal points setting for the category or grade item is used (inherit).

Decimals shown in rangesgrade_report_rangesdecimalpoints
Inherit012345

This setting determines the number of decimal points to display for each range or whether the overall decimal points setting for the category or grade item is used (inherit).

Mark

We have located a previous solution to reversing the grades override at this forum posting... http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=114150

Our settings very similar to yours with the following exceptions...

We have allowed

• Quick Feedback - yes
  • Show/Hide icon - yes
  • Show locks - yes

So Mark, you did this from the link given and it worked fine - didn't delete any grades at all?  This will be great if it works! smile

UPDATE mdl_grade_grades SET overridden = 0

Thanks!
Picture of Bob Puffer

That query will reset ALL grade overrides on your moodle instance.

Does that mean any grade that has been entered in the Grader Report  will be erased?  Don't want to do that! smile  I just want that little check to be unchecked!!  Luckily I will be meeting with someone who knows more than me about this on Monday, so they can help figure things out!

Picture of Bob Puffer

NO, it means it reset the overridden status of ALL grades rather than just the grades in a particular course.

So would this be a bad thing?  What adverse effect would it have to do this?  Sorry for all the questions.  I just became the moodle administrator in our school, and I am still trying to figure out things.  Doesn't help that we just transition from 1.9 to 2.3 this summer, and trying to work out all the issues! smile

Picture of Bob Puffer

It depends on the origination of the overrides.  If most have them have occurred because the gradebook screwed up then I'd go ahead and do it.  The caution is that if, indeed the override was legitimate (i.e., assignment grade needed to be changed) its quite possible clearing overrides will cause an inconsistency between what is reported at the assignment grading interface and what's in the gradebook.  It is very probable that the assignment grading interface would now be free to "override the override".

Thank you Bob for your help again!  Things are a little clearer now.

Picture of Matt Carrao

I have installed the version listed above and the behaviour still exists.

Picture of Emma Richardson

Just a thought - do you have grades set where no grade = 0?  I am just wondering if this setting would cause this behavior?

Mark

Thanks Emma,

Just checked both in course and site Grade settings... no defaults set to 0.

When I look at the grades Book it displays dashes in the yet to be completed cells.

1) Do you have AJAX turned on for the grader report - this has been causing some strange behavior.  Unfortunately, you will still have to manually change them all back but maybe turning AJAX off will stop it from happening again.

2) When you clicked the update button, had you manually changed the final grade?

I am pretty much guessing in the dark here but I can't think of what else could have caused this...

Mark

No, Ajax is off for the site grade settings but is on for other activities/labels etc.

Yes. When I clicked the Update button I had mannually changed the final grade. That said I just experimented in a small demo course where I changed one entry and clicked enter to have the whole grades book become overridden.

I have quick grading "on" I will try again with that off.

Quick grading off will not allow you to enter grades there.

If it is not happening when teachers are at home and they are all using IE (didn't you say that?), then it pretty much has to be a network/firewall issue.  I am baffled by the result but I can't see any other reason.

Mark

Good point, but no they are mostly using Firefox from work.

Firefox is much quicker than IE at our workplace.

I will try it at home.

Same here.....

Just found out that we are having the same issue in version 2.3.1.  There was an old forum post about this in 2009, wonder if we could do the same thing again?  Did anyone find a solution?

http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=134852

Mark, did you find out what caused the problem?  Are you using Turning Point module or Respondus lock-down browser?  That's the only two extra ones I can think of that I use.

Mark

Sorry for my delay.

Please see the override reversal in my earlier response... it worked for us but we still have not found a fix for the initial override cause.

No we not using either program you have indicated.

Picture of Bob Puffer

I don't think this is related to AJAX or settings.  I'd be especially interested in knowing if all items in the gradebook go to overridden BECAUSE THEY'RE ALL IN THE SAME CATEGORY?  If items are under different categories does the behavior cross over.  I dealt with a similar problem in our CLAMP LAE grader report and the cause was in the grade/report/grader/lib.php file at a particular point so I'd want to know if that behavior is what you're seeing here?

Just created a new course, put two categories, two assignments in each category.  Added grades for one assignment through the actual assignment.  All is well.  Manually entered the second assignment, pressed update, and every assignment (in both categories) changed to overridden.  Added a fourth assignment, that did not show up as overridden.  Decided to press Update button just to see what it did, nothing happened.  Added a manual entry to one of the other assignments, and everything again got changed to overridden.    

Picture of Bob Puffer

What's the actual version number for your instance of Moodle (like:2012071201)?  Found under Site admin->server->environment

And what's strange is that this issue is not a problem for at least one class I know, one that we imported from last year doesn't work, one does, a class that is newly created does the same thing.

I even went and entered (from the assignment) grades for two students, then went to the grader report, turned editing on, entered two more grades, clicked UPDATE.  The entire column turned brown (which means the cells are overridden).  However when I went back to the assignment and selected "View grades/submissions", there were four grades entered, BUT I did have some boxes that were available to enter grades for students, but for other students there was no grade!

I really don't know where to go with this.  I don't have an issue with it on my test server, which has the same things installed, although I'll double check again tonight.  

Thanks for any input.

Mark

My initial course had multiple Grade Categories where we chose the highest grade as the primary assessable grade for that category.

I have another Demo course where I have been experimenting with only one default category. This grades book has the same override issue.

Picture of Bob Puffer

So turning AJAX on for the gradebook doesn't resolve the issue as mentioned earlier?

Our issue was caused by having ajax disabled and quick feedback selected.  Turned off quick feedback and now things don't become overridden except the one cell.  There is a fix below we will try.  Also the second link had a fix to turning off the overrides that I might try.

http://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-34363

http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=134852

Glad this is a thing of the past - I hope! smile

After all my suggestions, this happened to me too!!  Will vote for the tracker. For those that are brave, here is an sql script that will reset all grades in a course to not being overridden - bear in mind that this will clear all grades that have been entered through the gradebook but might be a quicker fix that manually unchecking the overidden box on each grade.

UPDATE`mdl_grade_grades` LEFT JOIN `mdl_grade_items`

ON mdl_grade_grades.itemid=mdl_grade_items.id

SET overridden=0

WHERE mdl_grade_items.courseid = put your courseid number here

Picture of Bob Puffer

I wrote the patch to which the second refers and its for the assignment module in 1.9 to allow for textual input of grades which allows for grades greater than 100 and floating point numbers.  It contains a setting you can use to turn off overrides being generated from editing your grades this way.  I don't think its going to work in your situation.  I sure am glad you figured out what the problem was and I've got all my friends voting for the tracker.

Mark

Well done Debbie!

I have just turned off Quick Grading and like you the override issue has now stopped.

Picture of JD Moodle

Mark Whitington,

So are you saying that basically quick grading and feedback comments are broke in 2.3? 

The only way I can get the feedback comments to appear in the student's grade reports is to use the slow non-quick way of grading.

That's lame! sad

Somebody submitted this bug

Feedback comments do not appear in gradebook

and then someone closed it saying it's not a bug.  So maybe feedback comments and quick grading are NOT supposed to work?

I miss Moodle 2.2 already!

Mark

I was able to have Quick Grading on but Quick Feedback seemed to be the cause. Debbie indicated where to turn off Quick Feedback within the site settings, and that a tracker issue was logged.

I am optimistic that the Moodle 2.3 teething issues will be sorted for us. They usually are ... just takes time.

Picture of JD Moodle
Quick Feedback in Moodle 2.3.2 not showing in User Reports

With Moodle 2.3, I don't have a problem with Quick Grading.  The scores show up fine the gradebook. 

However, Quick Feedback will save, but for some reason, it will not show in the students User Reports.  If I flunk a student on an assignment, I like to explain why it's the case. 

The work around is to drill down in each students submission by editing each submission and press the SAVE AND CONTINUE button for each.  That is NOT a quick way to do it for 200 students. sad

Picture of Bob Puffer
Re: Quick Feedback in Moodle 2.3.2 not showing in User Reports

Are you talking about the assignment grading interface or the gradebook, accessed through Course administration->Grades?

Picture of JD Moodle

Hi Bob,

I'm talking about the Gradebook.  Quick Feedback actually gets saved to the database, however students can't see it in the User Reports.

I've reproduced this on the official moodle demo site for 2.3.2.

The Tracker item is http://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-35398

Picture of Bob Puffer

I've voted for it.

Picture of Lesli Smith
Group Testers

I confirmed it on the work I was doing with assignments earlier today, too.  Hadn't gotten far enough to test what is in the user report.  Thanks for catching this.  I voted for it, too.

Picture of JD Moodle

Thanks for voting for it.  I've also noticed that feedback from quiz results is not being displayed in the gradebook user reports either.  For me, I usually just leave that blank, but sometimes I like to display comments for 90% such as "YOU DID GREAT! YOU ACED THE QUIZ!", or display a image.  That is not being displayed as it was in Moodle 2.2.x.

Picture of JD Moodle

Bob, Lesli,

Please vote for this one as well:

http://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-35392

It's already been raised to Critical by the official Moodle developers.

Thanks

Jeremy

Picture of JD Moodle

This bug is fixed in 2.3.2+.  Just graded about 100 assignments and the students can see the quick feedback no problem.smile

Picture of Graham Bowman

I think I'm having the same issue you have described. I've added a tracker here: http://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-36358
Picture of Roger Morris

The fix in MDL-34363 worked for me.  v 2.3.2+ version.

running the query to reset the overridden field seems to fix the broken ones.    Hopefully, after a reboot tonight, no more problems of this sort.

Picture of Roger Morris

I'm still seeing the problem to some extent.    I ran the query to see how many were locked, a handfull today.   I ran the update query to fix those.  That was this morning, I'm guessing I'll have to keep checking to see how much this happens.

Picture of JD Moodle

You may have to undo the override in the grade book.

I'll post back if I see any problems, but so far with 100+ students, the quick feedback is showing in the user reports for the students.