File Organization for related HotPots

File Organization for related HotPots

by Jeff Finnan -
Number of replies: 3

Hi All,

I want to see if my approach is proper/best practice given my situation.

My district just switched to what I think is Moodle 2.2. Back in the good-ole 1.9/QuizPort days, I kept HotPots that I would chain together via a QP in a folder that generally had a subfolder with images in it. I do not want to change this setup. I would upload a zip of this and so on and so forth.

Given how the File Picker and file management works now here is my approach.

1. For the first HotPot I upload the zip of all related files.
  2. Unzip.
  3. Drill down and point the HotPot that I want.
  4. Make copy of this HotPot. (The copy function is one nice thing about Moodle 2.)
  5. Change name and point to the appropriate HotPot in this series.
  6. Repeat 4 & 5 as necessary. (This seems to work. Have not check rigorously yet.)
  7. Pseudochain by setting conditions to force the one to be completed before the next one can be completed.

Is there a better approach? I don't like having duplicates because of wasted server space. However, for me it is too much work and local duplication with my file organization to separate them out.

Thanks,

Jeff

PS. Is there a short cut way to figure out the Moodle version? The Moodle icon at bottom offers no info. I have been pestering the tech folks with other issues that are more important right now. I will ask them but can wait for now.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Jeff Finnan

Re: File Organization for related HotPots

by Pete MacKichan -

Hi Jeff,

To find out your version of Moodle, you should go to Site Administration > Notifications.

Cheers,

Pete

In reply to Pete MacKichan

by Jeff Finnan -

I do not have any administrative rights on this installation. I need some other route to figure out the version if possible. I figure not but thought I would ask anyway.

Thanks,

Jeff

In reply to Jeff Finnan

by Jeff Finnan -

Hi All,

I just did a series of Hotpots. One downside I see so far is that when I copy I have to rename the HotPot on Moodle. It no longer looks for the name within the HotPot itself. A minor inconvenience.

Jeff