users timeout while waiting for session lock to end

by עומר המאירי -
Number of replies: 6

Hey.

using 2.3.1+

seperate servers for web and data.

IIS 7.5, win 2008 R2 for web.

MySQL 5.5, win 2008 R2 for Data.

I cant seem to understand when exactly this occures, i can have the server run perfectly normal for a few days on full load,

but when one or two users try to log on at weekend (server is pretty idle) they get timed-out.

when timeout occures, i can see many pending queries on DB such as "SELECT GET_LOCK('moodle123456-mdl_-session-82',120)"

after a couple of minutes, users get a timeout message and nothing seems to help.

this is not specific to any course, time of day, server load, number of users or anything i can pinpoint.

Help ?

thanks.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to עומר המאירי

תשובה ל: users timeout while waiting for session lock to end

by עומר המאירי -

I tried to make moodle not use DB session handeling, but it did not solve the problem

In reply to עומר המאירי

Re: תשובה ל: users timeout while waiting for session lock to end

by Colin Fraser -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Testers

IIS..mmmmm To me this is more of a server issue than a Moodle one, have you checked the server logs? There should be something there, and I doubt very much the problem lies with Moodle.

In reply to עומר המאירי

Re: users timeout while waiting for session lock to end

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
I've never heard anything like this.

Definitely turn on Debugging and monitor your web server error log. We're hoping something shows up that give a clue. At the moment I have absolutely no idea sad
In reply to Howard Miller

תשובה ל: Re: users timeout while waiting for session lock to end

by עומר המאירי -

Thanks both of you,

nothing on the IIS..

there are morereports on this besides mine, such as this one.

http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=183786

why do you think its an iis problem ?

the locks are on the DataBase dedicated server. it looks to me like moodle-mysql-windows issue. no ?

In reply to עומר המאירי

תשובה ל: Re: users timeout while waiting for session lock to end

by עומר המאירי -

i think i have some more information.

1) the site is fairly large (about 1000 courses)

2) the problem only occures on courses that we have archived (meaning, they are at a category depth of 4/5 under "archive"-"2011"-"user courses"...)