Best practices for revising a course?

Best practices for revising a course?

by Brad Smith -
Number of replies: 1

I want to do a major revision of one of my courses, but the revision is going to take a while and students will be taking the course in the mean time. 

My instinct for how to handle this is to create a an empty, invisible course, import everything from the old course into it (which for some reason never includes topic descriptions-- why is that?), make my revisions, and then make the old course invisible and the new course visible when it's ready and there are no students currently taking the old course. 

My question is: is that the best way to do it, or is there another technique about which I should know?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Brad Smith

Re: Best practices for revising a course?

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi Brad,

Rather than importing content from the old course, how about creating a backup of the old course then restoring it as a new course which you make invisible. Your new course will then include topic descriptions. smile Please see the documentation Course backup and Course restore for more details.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)