Topic Objects - Backup and Restore

Topic Objects - Backup and Restore

by Mark Storey -
Number of replies: 0

Hello ALL,

I’d like to open a discussion about course topic reusability.

We have heard of 'Learning Objects' and we're all aware of the process of backing up individual 'Topics' from within our course. I'd like to suggest a more robust and seamless approach to course backup and restore with the idea of "Topic Objects".

This is not a new concept though the implementation does not exist, as far as I am aware.

I work for the New England Institute of TAFE, NSW Australia.

We want to develop courses whereby we create 'learning objects' and these objects are then embedded within a 'Topic' on Moodle. Once the 'Topic' is complete with labels, videos, ‘learning object’, assessment methodologies, quizzes etc, then we would like to backup that individual “Topic” or “Topic Object”.

Yes, I know this can be achieved with the present implementation but the process is time consuming and difficult to manage.

My concept is to allow course developers to create individual “Topic Objects” and have them saved within a repository with all appropriate names, tags, dates, author, etc without the need to individually save them. Once saved, we should be able to search this repository and either link the “Topic Object” or restore it into a new course. If linked the Topic should not be editable, if restored you are free to modify.

What are your thoughts? Would this be a feasible development request for the Moodle team?

Regards

Mark

Average of ratings: -