Blocks for specific groups

Blocks for specific groups

by Tim F -
Number of replies: 4

Is it possible to make a block only visible to members of a certain group?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Tim F

Re: Blocks for specific groups

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi there. I remember you posted about this a few days ago and I was thinking about replying at the time. I can't see a way to make blocks visible to groups only - the only way I can think of to do it is by creating a new role-giving the group members that role and then making the block viewable to only those members with that role (a bit like number 3 here http://docs.moodle.org/en/Blocks_FAQ ) But that's not ideal.

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Tim F -

hmmm...that seems like it would get complicated as the number of groups rises...

It would be a great feature...we are working with different schools and sports clubs and I'd love to be able to get local businesses to advertise on the moodle for the users in that area (which blocks viewable to certain groups would accomplish)...

and it would also allow us to personalize the space without having to create seperate moodles for each school...

In reply to Tim F

by Jim Judges -

This would certainly get my vote - this would be useful especially for something like a glossary activity for different Groupings as the problem is that any random glossary entry block can be seen by all groupings!

It would be great if we could have that feature for all blocks I suppose - then we could serve different views and content e.g. HTML block (and other) blocks for different messages and links for different groupings. 

I wonder if this is under development for the future?