Styles in block directories: a question

Styles in block directories: a question

by John Papaioannou -
Number of replies: 1
I wasn't following CVS closely of late, so I thought I 'd ask. smile What's the idea behind moving the styles? And why are they .php instead of .css?

Jon
Average of ratings: -
In reply to John Papaioannou

Re: Styles in block directories: a question

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
I was going to post about this.

The idea is that blocks and mods are more self-contained (note these blocks/mods all support local lang directories now too) - this will be very useful when the repository is finally up and there are many blocks/mods being traded around. Unzip and you're done. The old situation with module/block styles scattered around the core style sheets wasn't very extensible in the long run.

The idea for these local style sheets is for really basic formatting styles only, stuff that is necessary for it to be usable, like the RSS client formats. Colours should be kept to a minimum - it should fit well with the standard theme.

I chose styles.php instead of styles.css on the offchance that the blocks/mod/lang author might want to add some logic. I don't see this being needed commonly.