Enabling curl on WAMP

Enabling curl on WAMP

by Mary Cooch -
Number of replies: 10
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

I've spend a merry day with Mary Evans learning about GIT and Wampservers so I can have several local host versions of Moodle including the latest 2.4 dev. However we can't for some reason enable CURl on the wamp server and of course therefore can't get Moodle to install. I have ticked to enable it in wamp>PHP>PHP extensions - Mary has also looked and uncommented out that semi-colon thing in the php ini file (in fact there are two - an Apache one and a php one) and we have tried all combinations of all three options with no  success - including countless refreshes of different browsers, stopping and restarting apache/wamp whatever. Short of deleting everything and starting all over again - does anyone have any other suggestions? 

I thought all we had to do was tick the curl extension in the PHP extensions of Wamp - that actually worked for the extensions that were in yellow but they weren't crucial. Curl is in red of course and is.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Mary Cooch

Re: Enabling curl on WAMP

by AL Rachels -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Mary,

I hate to ask because I only run Moodle on Linux, but do you have php_curl.dll in your system? It is my understanding wamp installer doesn’t have Curl by default so first you need to download binaries and then configure.

HTH,

AL

In reply to AL Rachels

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

By my system do you mean my laptop? If so then I don't know and I don't know how to find outsmile

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Mary Cooch -

OMG I did it! Teddy bears, rubber ducks and Al Rachelssmile Purely by chance! Thanks to Al for the heads up - I downloaded php curl.dll and extracted it  and then tried a few places in the php folder to see where it might work -found a folder called ext where there already was a php curl dll and overwrote it. Now I get a yellow check instead of a red one so my "server meets all requirements" (albeit yellow)

In reply to Mary Cooch

by JM Ferring -

Hi Mary,

On my wamp system, I have the php_curl.dll in the ......\php\ext\ directories and it works.

Jean-Marc

In reply to AL Rachels

by moaid hawadi -

to enable curl: create info.php file in www file and write inside : <?php phpinfo(); ?> then save it

then follow this site it show you how to install the Curl:

http://www.ivankristianto.com/os/ubuntu/howto-install-curl-in-php-apache/379/

open php.ini-production the in line 959 just remove (;) which before     extension=php_curl.dll

open php.ini which exist in wamp/pin/php/php5.3.10  OR  wamp/apache/Apache/2.2.21/bin and add this sentence : extension=curl.so  and remove the(;) from the bigginig of this sentence         ;extension=php_openssl.dll

In reply to moaid hawadi

by Mary Cooch -

thanks Moaid - I managed to do it by downloading it and overwriting the original one in the ext folder in the php directory and it all works now. Thanks for your suggestionssmile

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Mary Evans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi Just catching up on the chat here.

I've just been on the WAMP Forum, and found out that the CURL dll file had been compiled wrongly there was a link to this site.

www.mediafire.com

where you can get the corrected (fixed) version.

I installed my copy of WAMP about this time last year, and did not have the same problem.  At least I don't recall having one with php_curl.dll although there was one with php_intl.dll but that did not appear to be a problem on yours, as I remember rightly that loaded OK.

The fact is there should be no need for php_curl.dll to be yellow in Moodle, unless, with all the messing about we had this afternoon, I might have disabled/enabled the wrong one?

At least we got GIT to work!

When you have a moment to spare you might like to check in your new wamp/www/moodle if there is a .git there?

If there is click it and you will find the config for your moodle directory. it will have all the configurations for origin/refs/remotes/upstream and uncle tom cobly and all! smile

Oh and there is a WAMP forum in Franch too...smile

Well glad it all worked out right in the end.

WELL DONE YOU!

In reply to Mary Evans

by Mary Cooch -

Yes - that mediafire link was where I got the curl .dll from smile I looked in the wamp www moodle but all I saw was a file called .gitignore

Anyway - we did it by the end of the daybig grin

In reply to Mary Cooch

回复: Enabling curl on WAMP

by Chao Zhang -

Hi Mary,

I have another solution for your condition.

Copy 4 files(libeay32.dll, ssleay32.dll, php5ts.dll, php.ini) from php directory and 1 file(php_curl.dll) from php/ext directory to C:/windows/system32 directory and restart apache.

All should work.