General help

Picture of Ian L
1.9, How to edit quiz after attempt?

I have been reading, but I didn't find an answer. There is no settings block I have read in 1.9. I deleted the attempts, but how can I now edit the questions in the quiz itself?

Average of ratings: -
Mary Cooch
Re: 1.9, How to edit quiz after attempt?
Group Documentation writersGroup Moodle Course Creator Certificate holdersGroup Moodle HQGroup Particularly helpful MoodlersGroup TestersGroup Translators

Have you found the 1.9 documentation by the way? http://docs.moodle.org/19/en/Main_page

This has a large section on the Moodle quiz http://docs.moodle.org/19/en/Quiz

Picture of Ian L

Thanks. I didn't see anything in there. I found a few people with the same problem in search, but no answer. Is this option not available in 1.9? Seems like all I can do is add a question or delete a question, but not edit after someone has made an attempt.

I deleted the attempts, but still not.

Picture of Ian L

Anybody? This seems extremely tedious to have to write questions and answers again. I can't see anyway of editing this.

Mary Cooch
Group Documentation writersGroup Moodle Course Creator Certificate holdersGroup Moodle HQGroup Particularly helpful MoodlersGroup TestersGroup Translators

Hi Ian. My understanding is that if you delete all the attempts then you should be able to edit quiz questions within a quiz - I will check on a 1.9 and get back to you.

Picture of Ian L

Thanks, but I did delete them all. All there is is a preview, but I don't see anyway of deleting that.

Picture of Ian L

Actually I realized even that wouldn't work becuase I can't edit or reorder the questions, so deleting and retyping the question and answers won't work.

There has got to be a way to edit this. This doesn't make sense. Help please.

Mary Cooch

I will get back shortly - afaik you can reorder questions in a quiz and edit them as long as you don't have any attempts recorded.

Picture of Ian L

O.k thanks, but I can't do that or see how. I deleted the attempts and there is no edit icon or reorder icon

Picture of AL Rachels
Group DevelopersGroup Particularly helpful MoodlersGroup Testers

Ian,

I think you are probably a Non-Editing teacher in the course and that is why you do not see a way to edit the questions. Admins and teachers with editing capability, see FOUR tabs when they click on a test...Info, Results, Preview, and Edit. Non-Editing teachers only see the first three of them.

HTH,

AL

Picture of Ian L

Thanks for your reply Al. But I am admin and I see four tabs, but when I click on edit I can't actually edit any questions. All I can do is delete questions or add questions to the quiz. There are no reorder icons or edit icons.

If you look at the photo you will see that there is nothing under "Action".

Mary Cooch

Hi Ian - that looks very odd and I will try to replicate it on my 1.9. In the meantime...

1. I made a quiz and got someone to do it - so I couldn't then edit the questions

2. So I deleted the attempt

3. I could then see options to edit the questions

4. And when I click the hand/pen icon in "Action" I get this message

So we need to see why you don't have anything under "Action"

Picture of AL Rachels

This is really odd. I have a test that 16 people have taken.

1. Just like Mary's number one, I have both the preview and edit toolbuttons in the Action column.
  2. WITHOUT deleting anything, I clicked the edit toolbutton and it opened the question in edit mode.
  3. I made a change to the question and then saved it. (Changed the spelling a word.)
  4. I then went to the results view and clicked on a students grade for that question.
  5. It opened in a preview/review window and was showing the change I had made to the question. Same for all the other students.
  6. I KNOW I have fixed questions like this even during the middle of a test.

My conclusion is there has to be a way for it to work for you too...just gotta figure out how and what needs changing. Since it might be pertinent...I am using Moodle 1.9.19 (Build: 20120706).

AL

Picture of Ian L

Think mine is 1.9.14. 2011/08/03 Something is broken or some bug or what? Anybody know where I can start to fix this?

Tim at Lone Pine Koala Sanctuary
Group DevelopersGroup Documentation writersGroup Particularly helpful Moodlers

I suspect the reason Ian does not have icons in the Action column is because those questoins have been moved into a shared area of the question bank where he does not have edit permissions. 

http://docs.moodle.org/19/en/Question_permissions_explained_with_diagrams

Picture of AL Rachels

Ian,

I think Tim has probably come up with the correct reason. It has been a long Summer, and I just plum forgot about how much permissions and locations of questions can make oddball problems like this happen.

AL

Picture of Lisa Lane

I can do it in Safari, but not Firefox.