Backup from 2.2 to 1.9 - problem

Backup from 2.2 to 1.9 - problem

by Christine Healey -
Number of replies: 9

For embarrassing reasons (I managed to delete the content of a completed course on our current 1.9 Moodle) the only backup with student submissions and marksheets is now on the 2.2 Moodle our host is still tweaking.

With the help of Moodle Support docs, I managed to find my way to the 2.2 backup files and to download a copy of the backup. But Moodle 1.9 doesn't recognise this as a backup and now I'm stuck.

Can anyone help me to sort this out, please? Am I doooomed?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Christine Healey

Re: Backup from 2.2 to 1.9 - problem

by Ken Task -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

Yes, the backups in 2 have changed ... but they are still zips ... only with a .mbz extension.  In a test directory, one could change the extension .mbz to .zip and unzip.  Thing to compare would be the .xml files.  A lot of work there.

How large is the 1.9 site?  Do you have previous 1.9 *site* backups (sql dump, datadirectory at the very least)?

If one has previous *site* backups, the site could be restored to a another folder on same server or restored to a desktop version of Moodle (same version).  Would think some recovery would be possible then, depending upon factors.

'spirit of sharing', Ken

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Ken Task

by Christine Healey -

Thanks, Ken - I'll have to ask the host those questions but at least I now know .mbz is a zip file. I'll try changing the extension, uploading to a backup folder on the old Moodle (not on a 'live' course - I've learned my lesson) and see what happens...

In reply to Ken Task

by Christine Healey -

Ken - you're right! I get the error message

Error checking backup file. moodle.xml not found at root level of zip file.

While I'm talking to someone who understands these things, can I download a desktop version of Moodle to my own laptop so I can do some development 'on the move' and then transfer new courses to the 'live' Moodle? I've never tried doing this, but it would be incredibly helpful...

by Christian Schett -
Yes, you can develope your courses on your desktop. All you have to do is, when you finished your courses, creating a backup and upload this backups to your online moodle when it works. Be care that you use the same versions of Moodle.
In reply to Christian Schett

by Christine Healey -

Thanks, Christian. I'll look into this further - I expect there's a 'how to' somewhere in Moodle docs smile

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

From the top of this page, choose an installer package for Mac or Windows http://download.moodle.org/ and follow the instructions. When you have made a course you can then back it up and restore it online into your Moodle - see here Course backup and [[Course restore]

Edit - just saw your profile (Sheffield - I am in Preston) Love this line (quote) I am definitely not technical - just a teacher who writes courses and does basic Moodle admin. That's mesmile

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Christine Healey -

I think you're being a bit modest there, Mary - I've benefited in the past from your advice approve - and a big 'thank you' for the guidance. After 4 years, I'm still looking up basics like .xml (and not understanding the answer) and have yet to see a ftp site!

I've just got off the phone to our Moodle host, who has dug out some old database backups from April. He's going to mirror the 1.9 Moodle, so I can backup and transfer the course onto the live Moodle (making sure this time I tick ALL the boxes) and then go and grab anything that is only on the 2.2 to upload manually.

THEN we are going to start from scratch with a clean 2.2 (or 2.3) to avoid all the migration issues we're having with old courses.

Not saying that I can relax just yet, but I feel a lot more hopeful! Once again, Moodle support forums kept me sane.

by ben reynolds -

Sorry to say, Christine, I'm pretty sure I've seen forum talk that you can't go backward with a restore. Moodle 2 won't restore in Moodle 1.9, except maybe one of the very last versions of 1.9, but I think you're sunk.