1.9 Clearing cache?

1.9 Clearing cache?

by Ian L -
Number of replies: 15

Hi~

I can't for the life of me figure out how to clear the cache. I don't have anything that is called "theme designer mode". That I found in search, but I don't have it.

I added a new favicon, checked it in the source (on second click it will show the one I put in there), cleared the browsers cache, but the "M" for Moodle is still showing.

Any clues on clearing the cache?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Ian L

Re: 1.9 Clearing cache?

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi again. You won't have theme designer mode or clear cache in Moodle 1.9 because they are Moodle 2 theme features. I have found that if a force refresh (ctrl + F5) doesn't work then sometimes Time does  -or trying on another computer. Assuming you have uploaded it to the correct place it should appear eventually although I do recall there being a difference in browsers whether they showed it or not. Have you checked in different webbrowsers?

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Mary Cooch

by Ian L -

It seems a little weird to me that there is no cache, yet I am all new to this.

Is there any other way to clear the cache? Or do you know how long the cache setting is or if or where I can change it?

In reply to Ian L

by Mary Evans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

The cache you are talking about is local to your computer and nothing to do with Moodle. To clear browser cache all depends on your choice of browser. Internet Explores stores all cookies and images etc., in your Temporary Internet files, likewise for other browsers although none really make it easy to get to these files, but you can set them to clear on closing the browser or at a set interval, like 21days. Or you can purge them manually, as and when you want. If you click on Tools and then select Options in your browser window you will see the settings for Cache or Internet files or Cookies, depending on how it's worded

If you don't know how to do this just Goodle "How do I clear my browser cache" and you will get all the help you need.

The Favicon is a little more elusive becouse of it's name, and may get overwritten, or associated with the Moodle favicon which may still be in the Temporary Internet Files on your computer.

Cheers

Mary

In reply to Mary Evans

by Ian L -

It definitely does have something to do with Moodle. As mentioned above I already cleared the browsers cache and in different browsers.

In reply to Ian L

by Richard Oelmann -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi Ian,

As Mary has already pointed out, Moodle did not start using its own caching until Moodle2, so as you say you are using 1.9, it is not going to be related to any Moodle cache other than what is in the browser you are using.

However, I'm not sure that the issue might not be something a little different, given what you report below with the format type error.

Over the last few weeks I have had a number of jpeg images not being recognised by IE for some reason (which I have not got to the bottom of yet!) but resaving those images in my graphics package as .png files resulted in the image loading correctly - this was on both Moodle and on a standard non-cms based webpage, but using IE9. I don't know if the issue has been with my IE, or with my graphics package not saving the images correctly in some way, but it might be worth giving that a try??

HTH

Richard

In reply to Richard Oelmann

by Ian L -

Thanks for your reply. IDK, but I have checked on all kinds of browsers Chrome, Safari and Firefox.  

In reply to Ian L

by Ian L -

This cache thing is weird, because I uploaded new images into my certificate folder and they stayed in there for the day and seemed to work fine. But then I checked that folder this morning and the images got knocked out. I am guessing cause of the notice "FPDF error: Not a JPEG file", even though it is a JPEG file, maybe something with the format IDK. 

When I try to update the certificate and choose a border image it still shows the images I uploaded yesterday in the dropdown. But in the actual folder they are not there.

So to me this seems like something with caching and I have cleared my browser cache several times.

In reply to Ian L

by Mary Evans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi Ian,

This may be related to the theme you are using. Can you tell me which one it is and I'll test it out on my localhost server.

Also can you give me a link to the certificate plugin you are using then I can test it all fully? Thanks.

In reply to Mary Evans

by Ian L -

Hi~

Thanks. I am using Moodle 1.9 and the... 

Certificate 3.0 for Moodle. 

"Version 3.1.8 20070613
This version has been updated to work in Moodle 1.8."

I think I got it on this page: http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=177686

maybe that's the wrong one I got another one that says version 3.1.9 maybe I should try that one?

In reply to Ian L

by Mary Evans -

I'll try that. But which theme are you using?

In reply to Mary Evans

by Ian L -

Oh, it was the standard logo.

In reply to Ian L

by Mary Evans -

I'm having problems getting the correct plugin for 1.9. The link you pointed me to was for Moodle 2.0. I noticed too that in another discussion  in this forum related to Moodle 2.0 you asked another question about meta data. Which begs me to ask are you positive you are using Moodle 1.9.x?

In reply to Ian L

by Ian L -

Well I tried the 3.1.9 version, but I think that wasn't my problem. My confusion was between the folder labeled "Certificate" and the folder labeled "Certificate" under "Mod". 

I had done some work in the -moodle/certificate- and the -moodle/mod/certificate- and it seems like the one to work in is the mod/certificate.

In reply to Ian L

by Marcelo Mig -

I know that this is an old thread, but when I had this problem (old favicon) what worked for me in Moodle 1.9 was:

1- With your browser, navigate to the address where the new favicon is: Ex: http://mydomain.com/moodle/theme/formal_white/favicon.ico.

2- Probably the old favicon will be showed. Then press CTRL+F5. Now the new one should be seen. If not, the address is not correct.

3- Now open Moodle and probably the new favicon will take place. If nothing happens, then you should check if favicon is in the right place.