Allow Guest Without Login to Frontpage?

Allow Guest Without Login to Frontpage?

by Michael Stapleton -
Number of replies: 2

Version 2.2.2

We would like to allow guest access to a single course on the site. We do NOT want anyone, including enrolled students, to have access to the front page. (This is a business site so we do not want a client to see the names of other clients on the front page).

We have tried the following settings but when we log out and try logging back in using the URL for the course we are prompted for a login. We have even tried logging in using the word "guest" as the username but still no luck.

Settings we have tried so far are:

In Site Admin - Users > Permissions>Site Policies we have Auto-login box checked.

In Course Admin>Edit Settings> we set "Allow Guest Access" = Yes

We have tried this with and without requiring a password

In Course Admin>Users>Enrolment Methods we have a "Guest" as one of the methods and the eye for that method is open.

1st question is: Is it even possible to allow guest access to a single course without allowing them access to the front page?

2nd question is: If it is possible is it also possible to bypass the "Login as Guest" button. (We would prefer NOT to require a login or guest password)?

3rd question: If above are possible what would be the settings in both Site Admin and Course Admin that we need?

Thanks

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Michael Stapleton

Re: Allow Guest Without Login to Frontpage?

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi there.

1)I presume you have your front page "locked down" via the Site policies>force users to login? In that case I would be surprised if you could allow guest access to one course.

2) It is possible to bypass the log in as guest button - see here http://school.demo.moodle.net/course/view.php?id=134 but as far as I am aware I think you would have to open up your front page.

But I hope to be proved wrong smile I will test it myself.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Michael Stapleton

Re: Allow Guest Without Login to Frontpage?

by Itamar Tzadok -

Another related setting is 'Auto-login guest' in  Site administration
    / ► Users
    / ► Permissions
    / ► User policies

It defaults to No (unticked). If you enable it visitors will be automatically logged in as guests.

You should be able to control what different roles see on the frontpage and hide from guests everything but a link to the designated course.

Alternately you could hack the frontpage to redirect guests to the designated url. You might even be able to do that in the theme so as not to hack the core code.

There is also the My Moodle page which could serve registered users and you can force it after login. You should be able to design it to look like an internal frontpage and free the "real" frontpage for guests use.

hth smile