Using a large image 8.5 x 11 for a custom certificate?

Using a large image 8.5 x 11 for a custom certificate?

by Ian L -
Number of replies: 8

Hi~

I have been looking around a bit and I want to make a custom certificate. I noticed that the default image is very small, 150x50 or something. 

I can't imagine the quality being any good and have read so. An image in it's full size 8.5 x 11 would be best for quality. How can I customize the setting for this and will it work? Where do I change the settings for the images sizes?

It sounds like it generates a PDF. PDF's seem to also lesson the quality soemtimes in my experience. Any suggestions on doing this?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Ian L

Re: Using a large image 8.5 x 11 for a custom certificate?

by Ian L -

Anybody? Is 8.5x11 too big?

In reply to Ian L

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi Ian. Without downloading the certificate module to look inside its files I couldn't comment on editing the settings but I was under the impression the image is 150x150 because it is just your establishment's logo ,whereas 8 by 11 would be a big image the same size as the certificate itself - so would you be then thinking of using it as a background image for the wording on the certificate? I find pdf generated certificates are fine and easily accessible from different types of computer; I'd be interested to know what other types you were thinking of. I think I saw a post somewhere on here a few days ago (were you involved?) talking about Flash certificates but I am not so sure about that.

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Ian L -

Hi~
Thanks Mary. Yes I want to use it as a background image. I read the documentation on changing the text and edited that a bit. Is it possible to add a background image to it?

The other thing I am wondering is how I can test the certificate out to see what I have created. Would I have take out the conditional stuff? Right now they have to pass the quiz to get the certificate.

So does that mean that I would have to create a user and take the test just to see what the certificate looks like? Or is there another way to test?

In reply to Ian L

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

I think you can generate your own certificate if you do the quizzes but to be honest it is always a very good idea to test everything out with a "test" student anyway to make sure it works.

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Ian L -

Is there any way to preview the certificate? So I can see what I have done?

In reply to Ian L

by Ian L -

I figured that out. Yet now I am trying to change the font.

In reply to Ian L

by Dave Balch -

I've found the documentation for the PDF library Moodle uses (TCPDF) very helpful for customising certificates: http://www.tcpdf.org/doc/classTCPDF.html

e.g. setFont() http://www.tcpdf.org/doc/classTCPDF.html#afd56e360c43553830d543323e81bc045

To include a background image covering the whole page, I copy an existing certificate type and add an extra line to add the (preferably eps) image:

$pdf->ImageEps("$CFG->dirroot/mod/certificate/type/mycert/mybg.eps", 0, 0, 210, 296);

In reply to Dave Balch

by Phil Coultier -

You have inadvertently saved me here Dave!

I've been looking for ages for the dimensions to use for a full size image - 210, 296.

Thanks!